Subject: RE: [dita] Bug: fragref does not allow keyref

There is no doubt, I think, that a set of complex syntax formulae can
have partial structures in common. It sounds like reuse of such
recurrent partials with <fragref> is not a "best practice" , because
"fragref would be difficult to understand if it takes you out of the
current diagram to syntax that is part of another set of syntax."

A perhaps stronger reason it's not a best practice is that the
parallelism might break over time--the referenced content might be
subject to change independently of the referencing syntax diagrams. This
is a main reason that @conref referencing something in an ordinary topic
is not a best practice, and special topics are constructed for @conref
to reference.

The lang ref (both 1.1 and 1.2) says:

	The fragment reference (<fragref>) element
	provides a logical reference to a syntax
	definition fragment so that you can reference
	a syntax fragment multiple times, or pull a
	large section of syntax out of line for
	easier reading.

According to that shortdesc, "to break out a chunk of syntax to render
on its own" is not "the" purpose but rather just one of the two stated
purposes of <fragref>. The other purpose is analogous to @conref, to
"reference a syntax fragment multiple times".

Would that second usage be OK for cross-topic references if the
referenced content were stored in a special topic created only to
contain referenced content? It works for @conref, in the face of the
same concern about reuse and the stability (and understandability) of
referenced content.

If not, or if the answer is "use @conref for that", or if something more
specific is intended where it says "reference ... multiple times", then
the description in the lang ref needs to change.

	/B