Subject: Contains and Contained by in reference

Following up on the discussion in the meeting today about the contains
and contained by sections in the language reference, I spent some time
looking at some of those sections.

That left me confused. Can someone explain how these tables work, or
point to an explanation?

Thanks in advance,
Richard Hamilton
XML Press