Subject: Re: [dita] Use of "claims to be DITA aware": Why I Said It Like That

On 2/21/10 7:03 PM, "Dick Hamilton" <rlhamilton@frii.com> wrote:

> Eliot,
>
> I was one of those who commented on "claims to be DITA aware."
>
> I think the thing that tripped me up was the second sentence under
> "Conformance of Processors," "A processor is DITA-aware if it claims to
> implement DITA-specific processing beyond that required to process XML
> documents in general." Given that definition, my blender is DITA-aware
> if I claim that it is. I don't see the utility in defining a term that
> doesn't have some substantive meaning.

If your blender claims to be DITA aware then I can legitimately judge its
conformance to the DITA standard (I suspect it would not conform). If it
does not make such a claim, then I cannot judge it's conformance.

Note that I'm *NOT* saying that processors claim that they do or don't
conform--that is for us to judge based on the requirements of the spec. I'm
saying that they claim that they are or are not DITA-aware.

> While I see your point about a claim being necessary, the way it's
> stated in the conformance statement is not what I think you meant, and
> in any case is more complex than it needs to be.

I will review the language and see if I can express the requirement that
processors either claim or don't claim DITA awareness.

> I suggest a different strategy to use in place of the description of
> "claims to be DITA aware.". Why not make one requirement of a conforming
> DITA-aware or DITA-specialization-aware processor be a statement as to
> which features of DITA it supports?  Without the statement, a processor
> by definition cannot be considered conforming, which I think addresses
> your concern. In addition, potential users get a statement of what the
> tool supports. Given how broadly non-specialization-aware processor is
> defined, such a statement would be really helpful (I'd argue essential).

The problem with requiring processors to state which features of DITA they
support is that there is in fact no definitive list of features to which
such a list could refer, as there is for example for XSL-FO, where the
standard is both organized as a set of features and explicitly indicates
which features are required for conformance at a specific level.

DITA is not currently defined in that way and may never be.

Therefore, the best we can do is distinguish processors that claim to be
DITA aware from those that do not.

We have already established that it is not realistically possible in the 1.2
time frame to define an enumerated set of features in order to then label
them as required, optional, etc.