Subject: RE: [dita] Use of "claims to be DITA aware": Why I Said It Like That

Eliot,

Your description of DITA-aware, specialization-aware, and fully
DITA-aware below is clear and makes sense to me. I think you could use
it nearly verbatim as the processor portion of the conformance
statement.

Thanks for the clarification.

Dick
---------------------------------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators
http://xmlpress.net
(970) 231-3624

<snip>
> DITA-aware merely means that the processor can handle
> documents conforming to *at least one* conforming DITA
> document type, as specified by the processor, but need
> not support any features not required by that document type.
>
> Specialization-aware is a further, more-demanding class
> of  processor that is able to handle any document specialized
> from some set of supported vocabulary modules and with,
> possibly, the required use of specific constraint modules.
>
> The most complete DITA implementation would be a "fully DITA
> aware" processor that supports all base vocabulary modules
> without constraint, which implies support for all non-
> vocabulary-specific DITA features, such as conref and keyref.

<snip>