Subject: RE: [dita] Use of "claims to be DITA aware": Why I Said It Like That

Here's a revised proposal with tweaks to more directly address "output
as DITA" claims:

"Tools that claim to support DITA authoring, or claim to support
producing output as DITA, must allow authors to create arbitrary valid
documents using the complete base DITA vocabulary, i.e. all DITA topic
and map types, including all base element and attribute types. They must
also must also document procedures to support creating arbitrary valid
documents using arbitrary DITA specializations. Tools that claim partial
support of DITA authoring or partial support of producing output as
DITA, but do not support creation of arbitrary valid documents using the
complete base DITA vocabulary, must document what parts of the
vocabulary are not supported."

Su-Laine

-----Original Message-----
From: Su-Laine Yeo [mailto:su-laine.yeo@justsystems.com]
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 3:43 PM
To: dita; tony.self@hyperwrite.com
Subject: RE: [dita] Use of "claims to be DITA aware": Why I Said It Like
That

Tony Self made a good comment on the Adoption TC list today:

"From my reading of the conformance topic in the spec itself, it seems a
vendor can claim DITA conformance by writing their own conformance
statement. There's no template for such a statement. One requirement of
such a statement is that it lists the DITA features that the tool
supports, but I couldn't find a definitive list of DITA features. If
that's the case, then one vendor might claim "re-use" as a supported
DITA feature, while another might claim "topicref" as a supported DITA
feature. How does a bewildered new DITA adopter compare these tools?

Examples of the problem can easily be found. There is a technical
authoring tool that uses a proprietary data storage format that claims
to "publish" to XML outputs including "OASIS compliant DITA". It turns
out that out-of-the-box you can probably publish some topics to "topic"
information types with lots of "required-cleanup" blocks. Technically,
that's "OASIS compliant DITA", but practically, it's meaningless. The
way I look at it, that tool is not a DITA processor at all. (By the way,
some confused participants in the WritePoint DITA Challenges Survey
listed that tool as a DITA tool, and identified themselves as DITA
adopters.) If vendors can devise their own compliance statements, those
statements will end up reading like marketing blurbs, and obfuscate the
information most important to the end user."

I think it would be difficult for any committee to agree upon a template
that fairly differentiates the four or five *major* DITA authoring tools
from each other. Worth trying perhaps, but difficult. However,
distinguishing DITA authoring tools from the kind of application that
Tony refers to in the second paragraph above should be considerably
easier, and I suggest that the DITA 1.2 conformance statement try to do
this with something along the lines of the following:

"Tools that claim to support DITA authoring must allow authors to create
and edit arbitrary valid documents using the complete base DITA
vocabulary, i.e. all DITA topic and map types, including all base
element and attribute types. They must also must also document
procedures to support creating and editing arbitrary valid documents
using arbitrary DITA specializations. Tools that claim to partially
support DITA authoring and do not support creation and editing of
arbitrary valid documents using the complete base DITA vocabulary must
document what parts of the vocabulary are not supported. "

This statement would, I hope, mean that tool vendors which only "output
as DITA" have to stop claiming that they support DITA authoring. They
can claim to partially support DITA authoring, with an asterisk and a
long footnote.

As discussed earlier in the thread, OASIS can't stop people from
claiming anything, but we can empower those who promote critical
thinking.

Cheers,
Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo