Subject: RE: [dita] Acknowledgments in the DITA 1.2 spec -- what should theycontain?

Just a belated point of clarification: when I said "It's a question of documenting the broad industry consensus behind the specification," I didn't mean to imply that the companies we work for endorse the 1.2 spec.

Nevertheless, we do work for those companies, we do the kind of technical work this TC seeks to provide standards for there - in fact, given the kind of work this is, typically very few other people do the same kind of work we do in these companies, vendors excepted - and we individually do endorse the spec.

So a list of participating TC members does provide value in showing that people who do this kind of work - document markup and processing work - at these major companies participated in developing it and all agreed on it.

That's all I meant by "broad industry consensus."

OTOH, an acknowledgements list, while a nice and no doubt well-deserved pat-on-the-back for the people who worked hardest getting this out the door, doesn't add any value that I can see to the spec itself.

--Dana

-----Original Message-----
From: Ogden, Jeff [mailto:jogden@ptc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:10 AM
To: Bruce Nevin (bnevin); Dana Spradley; Kristen James Eberlein; DITA TC

I don't think that acknowledgement of individuals in the spec. should be
taken to say anything about a company's support or endorsement of the
standard.

I think the list of TC members (separate from acknowledgements) at the
time the spec. was approved and submitted to OASIS as a "committee
draft" says that the TC as a whole supports the spec.  And folks should
be able to ask to have their names removed from that list.

And separately from all of this, part of the approval process involves
us collecting statements of successful use from organizations.  Those
aren't part of the spec., but they are a required part of the approval
process so people can assume that it was done once the spec. is
approved.

And finally the "committee draft" of the spec. that the TC approves
receives a final "public" review and a vote by OASIS members. This more
than anything else says something about endorsement and support for the
standard.

While PTC's lawyers are happy to let me serve on the TC (mostly because
they probably don't know about it), they are very fussy about who can
make commitments of any sort in PTC's name. I'm certainly not allowed to
do that on my own. I think you need to be a vice president or perhaps a
senior vice president to be able to do that. And I'm pretty sure we
don't want the DITA spec. to have to be reviewed by corporate legal
departments before it is submitted for approval :-).

   -Jeff

Editor,