Subject: Terminology issue: How does we use the term "hyperlinks"?

Jeff Ogden raised a point about how we use the term "hyperlinks" in
review #3.

Here is the original text and his comment about it:

"DITA depends heavily on hyperlinks to establish relationships among
content components. These hyperlinks include links from maps to topics,
links among topics, content use-by-reference within topics and maps,
links to images and other objects, and cross references. All of these
links depend either on the use of URI references or on key-based addresses."

[Jeff, 3 Jan 1010] Is "hyperlink" the right term to use here?  I think
of a "hyperlink" as something that appears or which might appear in
rendered output, but not as the thing that is authored in the DITA
source.  What is authored are relationships. How those relationships are
rendered will depend on the type of output, the processor that is used,
and how the processing has been customized, probably through the use of
a stylesheet.

I've searched the draft 1.2 spec and most of the instances of the term
"hyperlinks" refer to clickable links in rendered output, although we do
have a few topics -- now all in the Processing section -- that do use
the term as it is used above in the text example from review #3.

How do we want to use the term "hyperlinks" in the spec?

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; keberlein (skype)