Subject: Re: [dita] Feedback from Mary McRae

I agree generally with Bruce: we're producing a spec that happens to be
authored using DITA markup, not a technical document authored and delivered
using modular tech doc best practices.

In particular, the requirements and practices of standards are necessarily
different from those of technical documentation generally. In particular,
redundancy must be avoided and every clause needs to have a clear and
persistent identifier in all renditions.

Even though we, as the authors, know the shortdesc-generated links are
always identical to the shortdesc as presented in the linked topics, readers
cannot know that, thus the perception of redundancy. Likewise any place that
conref has been used to reflect the same content in two locations.

In the work I did for the FASB, where we were documenting a standard, we
used a special element to capture the clause numbers, rather than relying on
automatic numbering. This type of approach may be required for the DITA
spec, at least for the Arch Spec (the lang ref has natural identifiers since
each tag name must be globally unique).

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect