Subject: RE: [dita] Normative and non-normative references

I understand that information mapping was influential in the initial design considerations of the architecture. Might we include a non-normative reference?

I see that the DocBook spec has non-normative references for the SGML and XML standards.

From: Kristen James Eberlein [mailto:kris@eberleinconsulting.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:26 PM
To: DITA TC
Subject: [dita] Normative and non-normative references

Dear TC members:

In order to make the DITA 1.2 spec compliant with the OASIS template, we need to add topics about normative and non-normative references. Accordingly, I am asking active TC members to consider what we want to add to the specification. Here is what we have currently:

Normative references:

S. Bradner, Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt, IETF RFC 2119, March 1997.

Non-normative references:

None

If you want to look at what sort of references other OASIS specifications contain, you can view a complete list of OASIS specification at http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/ . Be sure and scroll down to the table, so that you can make sure that you are looking at specifications that have been approved recently (2008 or later).

Here are links directly to the normative reference sections in some relevant other OASIS specs:
Docbook: http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/specs/docbook-5.0-spec-os.html#normative.refs
UIMA: http://docs.oasis-open.org/uima/v1.0/os/uima-spec-os.html#_Toc205201035

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; keberlein (skype)