Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.2 spec: CD 01, namespace document (DITA1.2-namespace.html) uploaded

During today's TC call, I took the action to outline what I think we
should do to our namespace document, the latest version of which is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/38287/DITA1.2-namespace.html

See below.

Most of my problems are due to questions I have with the
OASIS namespace document template which is at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/namespace.html

In the template, the first text is supposed to be [Namespace Title].
It is not clear to me what that means, but I notice that the Introduction
sentence is supposed to include the "namespace title and...", and I
wonder if that is supposed to be the same [Namespace Title].  The first
sentence of the Versioning Policy section talks about "the [namespace
title] namespace URI", and in the Related Resources section of the
template, it refers to the [namespace title].

Mary, please explain what each of [Namespace Title], "namespace title...",
"[namespace title] namespace URI", and [namespace title] are supposed to be.

Given the mention of "[namespace title] namespace URI", and in the absence
of any information from Mary to the contrary, I will assume that all
four references are meant to refer the the namespace name (which is the
correct term for the "namespace URI").

Attached to this message is what I suggest our namespace document
should look like.  When approved, this document needs to be placed at
http://dita.oasis-open.org/architecture/2005/index.html

Here are some notes about what I did to get this document:

1.  I put the namespace name everywhere the template had some version
    of a reference to "namespace title".

2.  I changed "namespace URI" to "namespace name".

3.  I made sure the namespace name in the intro linked to the correct
    location.

4.  I changed irrelevant WSDL references to DTDs and deleted the bullet
    point about WSDL.

I also reworded slightly to avoid "non-backwardly".

paul

Title: DITA 1.2 Specification

OASIS logo

http://dita.oasis-open.org/architecture/2005/

Introduction

This document describes version 1.2 of the http://dita.oasis-open.org/architecture/2005/ namespace. It also contains a directory of links to related resources.

Namespace Name Versioning Policy

It is the intent of the OASIS DITA Technical Committee that the http://dita.oasis-open.org/architecture/2005/ namespace name will not change arbitrarily with each subsequent revision of the corresponding DTD or XML Schema documents but rather change only when a subsequent revision, published in conjunction with a Committee Draft, results in changes that are not backward compatible with a previously published Committee Draft.

No other DITA elements may be in a namespace. DITA documents may include elements from other namespaces using the DITA <foreign> and <unknown> elements.

Under this policy, the following are examples of backwards compatible changes that would not result in assignment of a new namespace name:

Related Resources for http://dita.oasis-open.org/architecture/2005/

Normative Reference:

Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA)

Title:

Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) Version 1.2

Stage:

Committee Draft 01

This Version:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/cd01/spec/DITA1.2-spec.html (Authoritative version)

Previous Version:

Not applicable

Technical Committee

OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC

Chair):

Don Day, Individual Member

Editors:

Kristen James Eberlein, Individual Member

Robert D. Anderson, IBM

Gershon Joseph, Cisco Systems, Inc.

Additional Formats:

PDF: http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/cd01/spec/DITA1.2-spec.pdf