Subject: Re: [dita] Ramifications of changing an existing namespace

Hi everyone,

  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - the past few days have been very hectic.

  With regard to the namespace issue. While the TC chose to declare an http namespace rather than the prescribed urn namespace in accordance with RFC 3121 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3121) at the time, but chose not to declare it on the cover page of either the 1.0 or 1.1 version of the DITA specification which therefore resulted in many TC members not being aware that a namespace even existed (see http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/archspec.pdf and http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/ditaref-type.html) or for staff to correct the erroneous construction, and since we have never created nor intend to create a dita.oasis-open.org subdomain to support resolution of such a namespace, the namespace: may remain buried in the spec, may not appear on the cover page, and may not resolve to a namespace document.

Regards,

Mary