Subject: Re: [dita] Conditional processing with the @rev attribute

Su-Laine, my understanding is that the @rev attribute is used for flagging but not filtering. Both filtering and flagging fall under the rubric of "conditional processing." Can others confirm this?

Obviously, we need to clarify the spec around this point.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

On 7/15/2010 9:30 PM, Su-Laine Yeo wrote:
BECDDDED92C3B949A38F5BC4BF56D21F03DFA39D@van-mail.jena.local" type="cite"> Conditional processing with the @rev attribute

Hi everyone,

As far as I know, the @rev attribute has always been included in the list of conditional processing attributes (http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/CD02/archspec/condproc.html). I dont know of anything in the DITA 1.1 spec that says that it should be processed differently from the other conditional processing attributes.

However, AFAIK the Open Toolkit ignores DITAVAL statements to exclude content based on @rev, and a recent statement from Michael was that rev cannot be used for filtering: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/17821 . Its not clear to me whether Michaels statement is a statement of how the OT currently behaves or if its a statement of how the OT should behave.

The draft DITA 1.2 spec deepens my confusion. It says, “DITA defines five attributes that are specifically intended to enable filtering or flagging of individual elements. Those attributes are @audience, @platform, @product, @otherprops, and @props.” But then a few paragraphs later under a section titled Conditional processing attributes it lists six attributes including @rev.

So is @rev a conditional processing attribute or not? What is our expectation from processors?

a) Processors should filter based on @rev if instructed to do so by the DITAVAL file

b) Processors may choose to filter based on @rev if instructed to do so by the DITAVAL file

c) Processors must never filter based on @rev regardless of what the DITAVAL file says

In my opinion, the wording of the DITA 1.1 spec indicates option A or B, so we cant change the expected behaviour to C without breaking backwards-compatibility.

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant

JustSystems Canada, Inc.