Subject: RE: [dita] Conditional processing with the @rev attribute

Thanks Michael for the prompt clarification. The about-ditaval topic for both DITA 1.1 and DITA 1.2 is clear about no filtering for @rev, however I think that both the archspec and the language reference should say that there is no filtering for @rev, in addition to the language reference linking prominently to the about-ditaval topic.  The language reference for @rev is not clear to me:

For DITA 1.1 it says: “Indicates revision level of an element. It is useful for flagging outputs based on revision. If no value is specified, but the attribute is specified on an ancestor within a map or within the related-links section, the value will inherit from the closest ancestor.” ( http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/CD02/langspec/common/select-atts.html )

For DITA 1.2 it says: “Indicates a revision level of an element that identifies when the element was added or modified. It may be used to flag outputs when it matches a run-time parameter. It is not sufficient to be used for full version control, such as single-sourcing multiple product variants based on version level, as it only represents one aspect of the revision level. If no value is specified, but the attribute is specified on an ancestor within a map or within the related-links section, the value will cascade from the closest ancestor.” ( http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/cd03/spec/common/select-atts.html#select-atts )

Neither of these currently says to me “no filtering”. Also I don’t understand this sentence: “It is not sufficient to be used for full version control, such as single-sourcing multiple product variants based on version level, as it only represents one aspect of the revision level.” Where are the other aspects of the revision level stored? Is revision level the same as version level? What does the term “sufficient to be used for full version control” mean in terms of how processors are expected to treat  an attribute?

Cheers,

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant