Subject: RE: [dita] Cascading of xml:lang attribute

Hi Bryan,

Now that you are mixing DITA & XLIFF, something I really like very much, let
me point you to an article about using XLIFF to translate DITA projects.
This article is available at
http://www.maxprograms.com/articles/ditaxliff.html

Best regards,
Rodolfo
--
Rodolfo M. Raya   <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
Maxprograms      http://www.maxprograms.com

as
> soon as I can marshal the bandwidth. One of the things members of that SC
> have talked about in the past is evaluating the use of XLIFF as a best
practice
> for translating DITA. Using XLIFF as your Interchange File Format when
> translating DITA topics enables exactly what you are talking about.  The
idea
> is that all of the topics referenced by a given map would be transformed
into
> an XLIFF file (XLIFF is a preferred file format for translation providers
and is
> natively consumable by translation tools).
>
> So if fragments within the topic need to be translated the XLIFF file can
> identify the strings that need to be translated, and lock (but provide for
> context) the strings that do not need translation. Here's a little sample:
>
> For this topic segment:
> <section>
>  <title>Electric Guitars</title>
>                    a pioneer of the development to the Solid
>                    body Electic Guitar and modern recording
>                    technologies.</p>
>                    Leo Fender, moved the development of Electric
>                    Guitars into the modern era, with smaller, more
>                    portable solid body Electric Guitars.</p>
> </section>
>
> This XLIFF segment would trigger the translator to translate the second
> paragraph, but provide the first paragraph as a locked, for context only
topic
> fragment (note the @state attribute):
>
> <group id="section-3">
>  <trans-unit id="title-4">
>   <source>Electric Guitars</source>
>   <target state="needs-translation" xml:lang="de">Electric
Guitars</target>
>  </trans-unit>
>  <trans-unit id="p-5">
>   <source>Lester William
>    Polsfuss aka Les Paul was a pioneer of the development to the Solid
>    body Electic Guitar and modern recording technologies.
>   </source>
>   <target state="final" xml:lang="de">Lester William Polsfuss alias Les
Paul