Subject: TC Minutes 10 August 2010

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 10 August 2010

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 10 August 2010 at 08:00am
PT for 55 minutes.

8:00-8:05 Roll call
Roll call
* Regrets: Gershon Joseph
> Quorum was achieved.

STANDING BUSINESS:
==================
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

 o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201007/msg00083.html
(Joseph)

   Moved by Don, seconded by Kris, approved by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports:
=============================
For some weeks, SC reports will not follow list order, as we return to
those that have been skipped.

 o OASIS DITA Adoption TC
   Page created for testimonials by DITA 1.2 users.
   Discussion on potential article identifying those elements that ought
to be or typically are styled.
   Mary has announced the new Asian Adoption SC.
   Looking for additional members, especially those interested in
authoring articles.
   Getting a lot of hits on the articles in dita.xml.org.

Action Items:
=============
 o No discussion

Comments:
=========
Don has sent and will send reminders to those processing comments.

 o PublicReview1Comments
     * Assign open owners
ACTION: Don to contact Chris Kravogel about Public Review item C008 and
recommend action to Kris Eberlein.

 o Testimonials from organizations using DITA 1.2

   We noted Gershon's addition of the list of vendor representation on
TC.

   JoAnn: We discussed last week the need for the TC to know what
vendors are doing, and a number of major vendors are not represented.
She will make sure the 1.2 status paper gets out to them.

   We welcomed the news that Kris has accepted DITA evangelist position
with SDL, with condition that they donate 4-6 hours to the TC.

   JoAnn: In a separate category on this page we should list vendors who
have some support of DITA, and use this list to track contacts so as to
prevent duplication of effort and contact.

BUSINESS:
=========
1. Heads Up: change in rev attribute usage, ongoing
Kris removed old values from spec file in July. If anyone makes content
changes, mark it with rev mark public-review-1.
CLOSE

2. ITEM: DITA 1.1 errata (skip until Eric Sirois is attending; hold for
next week)

3. ITEM: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposal_Process.
Email discussed means to make sure relevant subcommittees are engaged
when a new proposal affects them (or they it).
CLOSE: ready for TC reference when needed for DITA 1.3
     * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201007/msg00091.html
(Anderson)

4. ITEM: Announce DITA 1.2 Feature article and comments
CLOSE: Already voted by the Adoption TC. When OKed by Gershon, will
publish.

5. New ITEM: Content outcomes of "cascading of xml:lang attribute"
discussion
     * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201008/msg00041.html
(last comment, Grosso)

We are clear that @xml:lang on a map should not cascade. An additional
reason for users to set it on each topic is that processors have a
variety of ways to set a default, and this could cause problems. Should
be able to point to a definitive FAQ.
CLOSE

ACTION: Don: log this issue on the 1.2 comments wiki so we can track it
there.
ACTION: JoAnn: take this to the translation SC
ACTION: Su-Laine: Try to improve wording in the spec, bring it back to
the TC.

6. New ITEM: Clarification needed on whether xml:lang is required
     * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201008/msg00038.html
(Yeo)

Eliot: The XML standard http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag says
xml:lang applies to an element and all its children, so nested topics
don't have to specify it, and therefore DITA cannot require it at the
DTD level.
Kris will work on clarifying the wording at 2.1.3.9.1, with Su-Laine,
JoAnn, and Eliot engaged as interested parties.
CLOSE

8:55 Announcements/Opens
8:55 Adjourn

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 10 August 2010

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 10 August 2010 at 08:00am PT for 55 minutes.

8:00-8:05 Roll call
Roll call
* Regrets: Gershon Joseph
> Quorum was achieved.