Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.2 Review Comment: Thoughts on topicgroup, navtitle, and locktitle

Normally I'd agree that if <navtitle> appeared within any <topicref>
specialization that didn't have @navtitle, standard processing applies.
But topicgroup is fundamentally different from other topicref
specializations in that it does not affect navigation hierarchy, and
there is nothing other than its tag name/class attribute to signify this
behavior. Unlike most other topicref specializations in mapgroup, such
as topichead and mapref, its specialness is not derived from default or
restricted attribute values in the DTD/Schema; it's inherent to itself.
I much prefer "topicgroup does not affect hierarchy," to "topicgroup
*usually* does not affect hierarchy." I think the latter would be
baffling to users and potentially tricky for processors.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:36 PM
To: Eliot Kimber; Bruce Nevin (bnevin); Doug Morrison; dita
Subject: Re: [dita] DITA 1.2 Review Comment: Thoughts on topicgroup,
navtitle, and locktitle

The real answer would be to specialize <topicmeta> specifically for
<topicgroup> in the mapgroup domain in order to disallow <navtitle>.
That
would impose the same constraint that omitting @navtitle imposes and
would
be a more complete expression of the intention of topicgroup.

Of course, such a change would not be backward compatible with 1.1,
which is
why we didn't do it in the first place.

Thus the availability of <navtitle> as a descendant of <topicgroup> is
an
unavoidable consequence of that new markup design (which is itself
demanded
by localization requirements).