Subject: RE: [dita] Clarification needed on whether xml:lang is required

Hi everyone,

I took an action item to propose clearer wording for the spec. Here is
my attempt:

Page 78 of the CD02 draft spec for DITA 1.2 says:

"Applications should ensure that every highest level topic element
explicitly assigns the @xml:lang attribute. Authors
are urged to set the @xml:lang attribute in the source language so that
the translator may change it in the target
language. Because some translation software does not permite translators
to add elements, the absence of the
@xml:lang element from the source language may result in higher
administrative costs for translation."

I propose replacing this with:

"The @xml:lang attribute should be set explicitly at the root of each
top-level topic, as DITA processors are not required to support any
other way for users to specify the language of topic content. To
facilitate the translation process, use of the xml:lang attribute is
recommended even if the topic is in the same language as the processor
default, because some translation software makes it easier to change an
existing attribute value than to add a new one."

I suppose that as a spec is not a user guide, we could even do without
the second sentence, but I think it's useful.

Su-Laine