Subject: RE: [dita] Clarification needed on @locktitle behaviour

Title: Clarification needed on @locktitle behaviour
Good clarification.

I assume the default value for @locktitle is "yes". (I see #IMPLIED in the description but I don't see the default value stated.) If so, it appears to me that the normal precedence in a <topicref> is:
  1. <navtitle> if present; if not
  2. @navtitle if present; if not
  3. <title> in the referenced topic, or in a referenced <topicref> the title content according to these rules (recursively).
If @locktitle="no" then (3) is the only option, the title content comes from the referenced element.

It would be helpful to pull the combined effect of these into a single statement along these lines. Readers can get confused as they integrate narrowly-focused statements that are found in different places.

    /B

From: Su-Laine Yeo [mailto:su-laine.yeo@justsystems.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:42 PM
To: dita

Hi everyone,

I agree with some issues that Doug raised earlier, below. The name "locktitle" has confused a lot of people.

Doug: We can't change the name of the attribute until DITA 2.0, because DITA 1.2 and 1.3 have to be backwards-compatible. I've started a wiki page for DITA 2.0 proposals at http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_2.0_Proposals and added it there.

However, the draft DITA 1.2 spec could be clarified. The description on page 34 of the PDF file currently says:

"locktitle

Specifies whether processors should use the content of the <navtitle> element or the @navtitle attribute for a navigation title."

Page 1161 could also be clarified:

"This attribute makes sure the navtitle element or attribute is used if it is present. If locktitle isn't set to “yes”, the navtitle is ignored and text is retrieved from the target."

If a definition needs to be in both places, we should make them both say the same thing (conref, anyone?). I suggest:

"If locktitle is set to "yes", the <navtitle> element or @navtitle attribute is used if it is present. Otherwise, the navtitle is ignored and the navigation title is retrieved from the referenced file."

Cheers,

Su-Laine

Su-Laine Yeo
Solutions Consultant