Subject: Minutes: DITA TC meeting on 14 September 2010

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes

The DITA Technical Committee met on 14 September 2010 at 08:00am PT

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gerjosep@cisco.com>

Roll call
* Regrets:
> Quorum was achieved.

Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
* http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00033.html (Nevin for 7 September)
> Minutes accepted by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports (to be resumed on 21 September)

OASIS DITA for Technical Standards Subcommittee
> Gershon announced this SC is starting its activity. They plan to meet the
> week of October 4th to kick off.

Action Items:
* Items closed during past week
* Review open items
  * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/members/action_items.php
> No updates on open items.

Comments:

* Archived comments: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/
* PublicReview1Comments
  * Rollup for discussion: Open review comments regarding @rev attribute
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201008/msg00163.html (Eberlein)
* Information about receiving the dita-comment e-mails:
  * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=dita
  * Assign open owners

> [...]

> up during testing. Keep this item in progress until Eric delivers a new XSD
> kit.

> C008 - ACTION: Don to follow up.

> C010 - Robert: I followed up on this one and am not really sure what the
> right answer is. Need TC input. When using a key with link, if link has no
> desc or shortdesc we pull them from the map. The issue is what if the
> link text contains the linktext and shortdesc – how should we handle the
> processing in this case?
> Discussion…
> Eliot: The spec says if there is content in the link text then that text is
> used as the link text regardless of the target key definition.
> Eliot to respond to comment list with the pointer to the spec that has that
> info so we can close this item.

> C016 - Robert and Eric need to submit their DTD & schema updates.

> C018 - Eliot: In process. Requires some additional investigation. Hoping to
> respond today or tomorrow.

> C019 - See locktitle in business items below.

> C022 - Su-Laine did the rewrite and checked it in. Ditto for lock-title.
> Su-Laine to mark this one as closed.

> C026 - Eliot will take ownership of this item and respond to Tarun.

> C028 - Eliot: In progress. Change owner to “Eliot”.

> C029 - Robert: I need to implement. Plan to do it this week.

> C032 - Eliot: We discussed this item last week and were waiting for a final
> decision. The issue is whether or not @otherprpops should always be processed
> as @props. Should it be *required*, or *allowed to but encouraged*?
> This is a 1.0 spec practice we deprecated in the 1.1 spec and didn’t know
> anyone supported it. There are no known showstopper users for this, just one
> implementer. However, we don’t want processors to implement something that is
> deprecated. Specialized attributes should be used instead. Eliot mainly
> wants to fix the language that confuses processors. The TC had no objection
> to the change, so Eliot will go ahead.

> C033 - Eric: In process.

> C034 - Eliot: @processing-role is missing from the list of attributes that
> do not propagate. I added this attribute to the list, but did not formally
> engage the TC before doing so, which is why I am raising the issue fur
> discussion on the TC. There were no objections to Eliot’s assertion. Eliot
> to assign this item to himself, add a note about the disposition, and mark
> it complete.

> C035 - Eliot: The spec omits some aspects of XSD constraints which I
> discovered and discussed with Eric. The TC had no objections to making these
> clarifications in the spec language. Eliot to assign to himself and update
> the item.

> C036 - The DTDs don’t contain these, but the catalogs do and some files may
> have them. It was added in DITA 1.1.
> Robert to check the spec and respond to Tarun. Robert to assign this item to
> himself. Robert to clarify the language.

* Testimonials from organizations using DITA 1.2
  * http://dita.xml.org/testimonial
  * Work opportunities to announce both the Public Review and the request for Testimonials
  * Gershon's list of vendor representation on TC:
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201008/msg00019.html

> Discussion around the lists this TC has and the list the Adoption TC has.
> The Adoption TC's list is for all folks using DITA 1.2.
> Our TC's list is only for voting members who are using the new spec, and it's
> this list that we need to send Mary when we move DITA 1.2 to an official
> OASIS specification.
> ACTION: Kris or Gershon to add link to OASIS policy about who should be
> listed on the testimonials page.

BUSINESS

1. New ITEM: Where to place ePub version of spec?
   * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00048.html (Kimber)

2. ITEM: Wrap up of "Clarification needed on @locktitle behavior"
   * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201009/msg00040.html (Yeo)

> Su-Laine: I made some changes to clarify it.
> CLOSED.

3. New ITEM: PDF processing for Spec
   * http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/releases/dita12-full/dita12-complete-xep.pdf (latest Seth Park run)
   * Remaining items (from email from Seth):
     * Deal with bookmap artifacts (2 hours) -- we need new template overrides
       to prevent the word "Chapter" from prepending numbering for
       non-appendices. Also, the first page of each chapter has a new area with
       links to topics; not sure what that will entail.
     * Configure for AntennaHouse (4 hours) -- if we support AntennaHouse and
       XEP (which should be our ultimate goal), we'll need to provide
       formatter-specific attributes in relevant areas. This includes the
       creation of a properties file for AntennaHouse to use the correct fonts
       (and font substitutions where necessary).
     * Implement the new numbering strategy from Robert (2 hours??) -- At the
       time of my last changes, it was not available as an addressable
       template, so I am using the existing numbering utility. Numbering is
       already implemented as a template override, so it's just a matter of
       calling the right template from the existing override.
   * Handover from Seth to... ?

> Seth handed it over to Robert. Robert and co-worker Simcha will be looking
> at it this week. Any issues will be brought back to the TC next week.
> CONTINUED.

*** Meeting adjourned ***

Gershon L Joseph
TECHNICAL LEADER.ENGINEERING
Product Development Services, CDO
Chair, OASIS DITA Adoption Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee
E-Mail: gerjosep@cisco.com
Phone: +972 9 892 7157
Mobile: +972 57 314 1170