Subject: RE: [dita] Providing a DITA OT plug-in for specs available to other OASIS users

Michael,

Do the DocBook kits mandate the use of a specific tool?  From a brief look, they look relatively tool-agnostic, with templates and XSL-to-HTML and XSL-FO transformations (though there are XSLT extensions for both Saxon and Xalan, but it doesn’t mandate one over the other). In theory these could be use with any XSLT and/or XSL-FO processor.  I think Paul’s objection, which I share, is that mandating use of an Open Toolkit plug-in implies that the TC and/or OASIS endorses that tool over others, which we really shouldn’t be doing.

This isn’t to say that the plug-in isn’t useful or shouldn’t be made available, just that I’m squeamish about any official endorsement.

Chris

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 11:33 AM
To: Grosso, Paul
Cc: DITA TC

Hi Paul,

DocBook has specific support for OASIS publications, hosted by OASIS  here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/spectools/

The support includes templates, usage documentation, and stylesheets for HTML and PDF.

As a result, DocBook is a supported format for any TC who wishes to use it to document their standard. I want to see equivalent support for DITA.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>

"DITA TC" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

01/14/2011 10:59 AM

RE: [dita] Providing a DITA OT plug-in for specs available to other OASIS users

I'm not sure I quite understand "the bar for providing OASIS publication support."  Perhaps there are things about which I am unfamiliar in this area.

The DocBook TC publishes the standard and schemas through OASIS.  See http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=docbook#technical

The DocBook analogy to our dita.xml.org is docbook.org which is unaffiliated with OASIS.

The XSL stylesheets that can be used to compose DocBook documents and related "toolish" information are housed at http://docbook.sourceforge.net/.

paul

RE: [dita] Providing a DITA OT plug-in for specs available to other OASIS users

My opinion is that we should duplicate whatever support and distribution mechanisms DocBook provides. They've set the bar for providing OASIS publication support.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>

"DITA TC" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

01/14/2011 10:35 AM

RE: [dita] Providing a DITA OT plug-in for specs available to other OASIS users

My opinion is that the DITA TC (1) should develop the standard and avoid aligning itself with any particular implementation and (2) has plenty of work to do on the standard and already has a track record for taking much longer than thought at first to get out the next version and so shouldn't spend time on tools.

So for several reasons I prefer choice #3 (which might also be the easiest given the OASIS process).

paul