Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 January 2011

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 January 2011

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 18 January 2011 at 08:00am PT for 18 minutes.

8:00-8:05 Roll call

  o Regrets: Thilo Buchholz
  o Quorum was established.

STANDING BUSINESS:

Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00026.html (amended version, Nevin)

Moved by Don, seconded by Stan Doherty, passed by acclamation.

Subcommittee/liaison reports: none today

  o OASIS DITA Adoption TC

Kris: discussed joint webinar with DITA TC and Adoption TC. OASIS process applied to powerpoint slides effectively prohibits this by process delay. Looking for suggestions of alternative ways forward. Waiting for email responses from Robin Cover; OASIS email server has been down since Friday.

  o OASIS DITA Technical Communication Subcommittee
Has begun to develop a list of topics, examining what is available now and what will be available in the future. Have appointed a secretary and have started taking up work after the holidays. Letting CLI questions slip for the present.

  o OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee (resume here on 25 January 2011)

BUSINESS:

1. ITEM: Low ranking of DITA 1.2 specs

  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00029.html (Eberlein)
  o Several things are in motion; any particular recommendations for members?

Currently #3 rank, following actions taken by a number of TC members.
Su-Laine: name is just dita-wiki, appended to all our pages. Could be more descriptive indicating that it is a working document. Suggest DITA Technical Committee wiki. Bookmarks just go to the URL, this is only in the meta-tag. Don: is there a convention among other TCs?

ACTION (Kris): enquire with Robin Cover by email, whether there are any issues making this change.

ACTION (All): put links to the spec in blogs, etc. where possible to raise its google ranking.

CLOSED

2. ITEM: Providing a DITA OT plugin for specs available to other users

  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00027.html (Eberlein)
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00047.html (Hamilton rollup)
  o Consensus seems to be "parity with DocBook." Discuss and log our resolution.

Don: thought we'd use it the same way as the DocBook specs have been provided. How should we publicise this, on the DITA OASIS site? Kris: in email discussion, some suggest parity with DocBook, which suggests that. Paul: Looks like a stamp of approval to a particular implementation, but that's not a big deal, won't stand in the way. Michael: fine to make it not a TC work product. The background work to support our process should be made available to other TCs. Kris: Making it comparable to DocBook templates will require some up front work, but will save a lot of hoop-jumping later. Don: OK to post the materials in the same manner as the DocBook materials, and carry on from there. Consensus is clear on this.

3. Continuing ITEM: Perceptions of DITA complexity

  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201012/msg00070.html (latest post on thread, Priestley)
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00003.html (reminder from Robert Anderson)
  o DITA Perceptions (Managing Complexity)

Updates are being made. BusDocs SC members invited to contribute. Notes to the list may have been delayed. Stan: will copy what he has put in the wiki into email and send to the list.

4. Continuing ITEM: Review of packaging survey (Buchholz and Hackos action)

  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201011/msg00013.html (Buchholz update)
  o JoAnn's links, and subsequent discussion:
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201012/msg00083.html
  o http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00001.html (update from JoAnn)

JoAnn: updated the survey with notes from our last TC call. It's ready to go. Do we want to launch it? How, what venue? Don: suggest we get this under way. JoAnn: We can use the survey tool and compile the results. Where do we announce it? On user groups? Don: An opportunity for wider publicity? Do we want this to be limited to communities that are already DITA users? Perhaps announce it on xml-dev. Kris: STC and tech-wrl too difficult to post to, and we don't get responses. Stan: ua-writers. Michael: are any of them not subscribed to dita-users? JoAnn: certainly include those who voted Yes on the spec. Su-Laine: translate e.g. for Asia? JoAnn: the dita-awareness LinkedIn page? Facebook? Twitter? Michael: Include our own lists. Some individuals, send directly to them. We want users to respond, we want consultants and vendors to steer their users to the survey. JoAnn: Vendors are users of the spec.

We spent some time on WebEx reviewing and discussing the survey questions.

Stan: Is the spec being used as a primary way of understanding DITA? If not, how should it be supplemented to make the 1.2 spec more broadly useful (as the 1.0 and 1.1 specs were). A reading guide? Roadmap? Cliff's Notes? Overview? Cheatsheet?

ACTION (Doug): Tweet the survey URL.
ACTION (JoAnn): Send the survey out.

8:50-8:55 Announcements/Opens
8:55 Adjourn