Subject: Re: [dita] SCs and work products [was: DITA Technical Committee MeetingMinutes: 1 March 2011]

Only the TC can put a document through the process of validating an SC's contribution as a Committee Draft. But all OASIS work drafts posted in Kavi are nevertheless fully discoverable and therefore "published" regardless (to wit, the still easily found submission from the DITA Help SC that was withdrawn last year). So we need to ensure that products of SCs do not say "Committee Draft" before the fact, and to educate the user community of the higher-than-normal level of rigor that the "Committee Draft" label now holds.

--T.S. Eliot

On 3/1/2011 1:10 PM, Grosso, Paul wrote:
9B2DE9094C827E44988F5ADAA6A2C5DA0239015C@HQ-MAIL9.ptcnet.ptc.com" type="cite">
[This is not a correction of the minutes.  It is a comment
about OASIS process inspired by something in the minutes.]

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Nevin (bnevin) [mailto:bnevin@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 2011 March 01 12:45
To: dita
Regarding:

 9.  NEW ITEM: Vertical industry vocabulary in DITA 1.3

This is related to the discussion that led to a proposal to factorize
into separate packages.  Either develop a base spec that is part of the
DITA spec, or produce a delta spec that requires its own approval
process. Still very sympathetic to this, but the counter-arguments were
compelling, and seem still to be effective. Kris: and the OASIS
approval process is more complex now, there's even more overhead.

Those who were not in that conversation were surprised at the size of
the 1.2 spec.

If a SC does the work, a usable work product can be created as a
committee draft, and that will be adopted as a de facto standard. There
shouldn't be an assumption that it will be part of the core DITA
standard.  If no one wants to own it, why should we do it?
Just to verify a part of the process:

Per my understanding, an SC can "do work", but they cannot
create a committee draft.  The parent TC is the only entity
that can create a deliverable of any kind.

So even if an SC does a bunch of work and creates some documents,
if the TC doesn't want to approve it as a TC work product, nothing
can be published.

I would not want to see an OASIS SC trying to make something a
de facto standard if the parent TC doesn't even approve of it.

paul