Subject: Re: [dita] Editorial Suggestion: Formally Define the term "root map"

George wanted one term he could use to refer to maps used to establish
context in general, not just for key resolution. He's working toward a
general facility for identifying, within the context of projects (sets of
related files and their associated editor settings), files of different
kinds that are "roots", such as top-level DITA maps, top-level XSD
documents, top-level RelaxNG files, etc.

He's finding a general problem in XML that many standards have not defined a
specific term for "the root thing", whatever it might be.

So "key-definition context", while accurate, is not quite general enough.

But it's a challenge because if you want to define "root map" precisely, you
then have to say in what context the notion of "rootness" is meaningful or
important. That leads you to discussions of processing, which leads you to
discussions of different types processing, which opens a whole can of worms
as we well know from experience.

The notion of a "root map" is implicit in the notion of a map tree, since a
tree must have a root, and we talk about the specific map tree used for key
space construction (and its root), but we don't talk about *the* map tree in
a context-independent way because there are many ways one could view a set
of related maps as a tree and DITA currently only defines strict rules for
at most two of them (key space construction and metadata cascade).

So I'm not sure we can actually give George what he wants but I want to make
sure we've thought the issue through before saying "no".

For example, I would like to codify the notion of "publication", which I use
to mean "a map that represents the root of a single unit of publication".
Well, what is a "unit of publication"? Could mean many things. At the same
time, not all root maps are publications, so it would be inappropriate to
use "publication" as the general term.

This is one inherent challenge in writing a general-purpose application
standard: we know there are common ways that people use the data and apply
the base semantics but we have to be careful not to either limit potential
uses or privilege specific uses in our normative terminology, which tends to
lead to very general or convoluted constructions and/or lots of
non-normative explanations of what we think we mean by a term like "unit of
publication".

Hmph.