Subject: Re: [dita] Question: Definition of "undefined key"

An "undefined" key is a key name for which no binding is effective.

In the case of the key "topic1", the key is defined but it's resource does
not and there is no other content in the topicref, so there is no resource
bound to the key.

In that case, the fallback rules for unresolvable keys applies.

That is, there are three ways that key references can fail to resolve to a
resource:

1. There is no effective binding for the key at all.

2. There is a binding for the key but the resource to which it is bound
cannot be accessed.

3. Where the key reference includes an element ID component, if the key
reference can be resolved (that is, the key component of a key/element-id
pair) but the specified element isn't there, then the key reference is
unresolvable.

If this isn't clear from the spec as written then we definitely need to make
it clearer because it's fundamental to the key mechanism.

On 4/26/11 3:05 PM, "Su-Laine Yeo" <su-laine.yeo@justsystems.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> One more question on the "Processing key references" topic here:
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/archSpec/processing_key_reference
> s.html
> <http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/archSpec/processing_key_referenc
> es.html>
>
> It says, "If a referencing element contains a key reference with an undefined
> key, it is processed as if there were no key reference".  What does "undefined
> key" mean? For example, say you have:
>
> <map>
>
> <keydef keys="topic1" href="topic1.dita"/>
>
> </map>
>
> <topic>

> <xref keyref="topic1/para1" href="topic2.dita#topic2/para2"></xref>

> </topic1>
>

> Case 1) If the topic1.dita file cannot be found, does the xref have an
> undefined key?
>
> Case 2) If the topic1.dita file does not contain an element with  id="para1",
> does the xref have an undefined key?
>
> If an xref is considered to have an undefined key, the href will be used. If
> it is not considered to have an undefined key, the processor should presumably
> treat it as an error condition.
>
> Su-Laine
>
> Su-Laine Yeo
> Solutions Consultant