OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 26 April 2011 rev.

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 26 April 2011

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 26 April 2011 at 08:00am PT for 45 minutes.

Chaired by Don Day donday@bga.com
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>

8:00-8:05 Roll call
 o  Regrets: Deb Bissantz, Thilo Buchholtz, Kris Eberlein, Dave Helfinstine, Doug Morrison
> Quorum was established.

> Don and Kris will both be away May 24; Bruce will chair; we will need a scribe.


Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
 o  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201104/msg00037.html (Nevin)

> Acceptance of minutes moved by Don Day, seconded by Dick Hamilton, approved by acclamation

Subcommittee/liaison reports:

 o  OASIS DITA for the Web Subcommittee (John Hunt, Mark Lewis)

> Mark: The subcommittee has been on sabbatical for a couple of months. We have a document now in review, looking for feedback, particularly from John Alsop (author of book on microformats), and Alan Hauser. Our use cases are not just for microformats but also DITA for the web. There will be a second wiki page as well on microformats as they concern DITA. A planning meeting is scheduled to determine what to take up next. Perhaps some vendor demonstrations on microXML. 

> John: We emphasize that these are wiki pages, collaborative documents representing work in progress and summarizing exchanges on the subcommittee. We would like new members and are looking for referrals and recommendations of anyone who might be interested.

> Don: How can we increase the visibility of the SC's activities? Mark: This review will help. Please forward these documents to anyone who may be interested. Don: I remind everyone that such input is not a formal OASIS contribution. Mark: Yes, and we have the proper disclaimer on these documents.

>Information subsequently provided is hereby inserted in the minutes:

>>The DITA for the Web subcommittee has been exploring the use of Microformats with DITA.

>>We originally started writing specifications, but decided that we needed to document the use cases first. We would appreciate all thoughts and feedback on this document. The use cases offered are not really limited to Microformats and can be used to educate on a variety of uses of DITA for the Web. Feel free to share these documents with anyone that you think would be interested.   

>>Disclaimer: This document reflects exploratory work. It is not a reliable guide on the future direction of DITA. It should not be taken as guidance for using DITA or for developing DITA tools. 

>>This paper summarizes the recommendations and best practices guidelines for the use of DITA content on the Web that is delivered in XHTML Microformat. These ideas are offered as a collection of use cases. 

>>We also created a document with some definitions and vocabulary that we needed to hold our own discussions. This is a quick read, and we would appreciate feedback on this document as well.

>>This document provides definitions and background material to support the DITA and Microformats Use Case document created by this subcommittee. 

Action Items:

 o  Review open items: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/members/action_items.php


1. ITEM: FAQ item about "Interaction between key resolution or key binding and conditional processing"

  * TC review the draft: "What is the interaction between key resolution or key binding and conditional processing?": http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/FAQ-items#Q.Whatistheinteractionbetweenkeyresolutionorkeybindingandconditionalprocessing.3F
 o  Wiki page for review comments: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Review-FAQ-
 o  Need Eliot for this discussion
 o  Close once we're ready to post FAQ item on xml.org.

>No update posted from Kris.
CONTINUED next week.

2. ITEM: Perceptions that DITA is complex

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201101/msg00051.html (Stan Doherty, Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:28:35 -0500 -- recent e-mail on thread)
  * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/201102/msg00069.html (Paul Grosso, 22 Feb 2011 13:13:41 -0500 -- scroll down to bottom of e-mail)
  * Wiki page: "What do people (really) mean when they say "DITA is too complex"?
  * New direction: Discuss solutions by number (refer to previous link)

> Michael: This page needs more structure before we can proceed with a TC discussion. Problems and suggestions are intermixed. We need to separate these out into cross-referring problems and solutions. Number the problem statements, and make a table of solutions at the bottom, with references to the numbered problems. A given solution may address more than one problem.

ACTION (Stan Doherty): work on the organization of the Wiki page on complexity of DITA.

3. ITEM: Question on "Elements that may refer to elements within maps or topics"

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201103/msg00068.html (Yeo)

> Su-Laine: haven't looked at this much because of short week. There are different views on dealing with glossary entries. Perhaps people are expecting different results, but it's not clear to me why. Those who have raised issues should please clarify. 
> Eliot: the wording of the spec is that local text is never replaced by whatever the @keyref is pointing to. Wouldn't expect glossary references to behave differently. 
> Su-Laine: the wiki text doesn't reflect this yet. 
> Don: Do we all agree that this is correct? [No disagreement.] 
> Don: Are there any possible edge cases that we may want to tease out? 
> Su-Laine: We may have to look at images, and where alt text comes from for images. 
> Don: would expect it to stay with its parent image. 
> Su-laine: there's no way of doing that with our current @keyref  mechanism. 
> Eliot: that's a use case we forgot about. We thought about referencing images pretty late. 
> Don: If <image> really only pointed to an image and no text there wouldn't be a problem. 
> Su-Laine: Fortunately, <object> can't have @keyref .  
> Eliot: the workaround is to use @conkeyref to pull in an <image> element. The problem is because we're establishing a relationship to a non-XML resource. Needs more thought to figure out the right answer. 
> Su-Laine: Waiting for a response from David Helfinstine, hope to clear that up this week. 
> Paul: He's out the rest of this week. 
> Don: We'll go ahead and close this item with your update to the FAQ, and come back to it if further discussion merits.

ACTION (Su-Laine): put the problem of @keyref  to <image> on the DITA 1.3 list.

4. ITEM: Question on @locktitle for topichead and topicgroup elements

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201103/msg00069.html (Yeo)

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201104/msg00010.html (Anderson summary)

> Su-Laine: Robert's summary made sense. Have added an item to the DITA 2.0 list suggesting we deprecate these items. 

ACTION (Su-Laine): Add to the DITA 1.3 list a need to clarify the spec language about @locktitle.

5. New ITEM: Editorial Suggestion: Formally define the term "root map"

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201104/msg00013.html (Kimber)

> Eliot: No one has expressed concern. To my mind, leaving it without formal definition is good enough for DITA 1.2, and attempting such a definition looks like it will lead into some sticky issues. Don, Eliot: This should go on the DITA 1.3 list.

ACTION (Eliot): put on the DITA 1.3 list the need for a formal definition of "root map".

6.	New ITEM: Conref Push Via Keys and Implications of Normal-Mode Key Definitions

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201104/msg00042.html (Kimber)

[Eliot mentioned in passing that "normal mode" means part of the navigation tree.]

> Eliot: This came from the agenda item for Michael and me to discuss about pushing to the same topic with different keys. We agreed that we needed to think about it more. On reflection, I came to agree with Michael. We agree that a push to a topic is a push to that topic in all contexts irrespective of how addressing works. 
> Don: Is there a question to the TC now?
> Eliot: Does anyone think I was right before, or can we put this to rest? Chris: I agree with where you wound up. 
> Eliot moved to withdraw the original request for action by the TC, Bruce seconded, passed by acclamation.
> Don: Is the discussion worth capturing in a FAQ or adding to the arch spec? Eliot: This originally arose from a paragraph in my book. Probably worth capturing somewhere. I could put it in my book. Don: Any objection to letting that be the extent of our action. Chris (?): it will also be in the minutes.


7. ITEM: DITA 1.2 Survey results

  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201104/msg00006.html (Summary, posted by Buchholz)
  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201104/msg00007.html (Full, ")
  * Need TC's discussion on using this knowledge

Don: Need Thilo, JoAnn, or both to discuss this. [Agreed]


8. ITEM: Review action items generated by this meeting

8:40-8:45 PT Announcements/Opens
8:45 PT Adjourn

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]