OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 7 June 2011

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 7 June 2011

Chaired by Don Day <donday@bga.com>
Minutes recorded by Bruce Nevin <bnevin@cisco.com>
The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 7 June 2011 at 08:00am PT for 55 minutes.

8:00-8:05 Roll call
 o  Regrets: Deb Bissantz, Dick Hamilton, Chris Nitchie
> Quorum was established.


Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
 o  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201105/msg00040.html (Bruce Nevin, 31 May)
Moved by Don Day, seconded by Kris, approved by acclamation

Subcommittee/liaison reports:

ACTION (Bruce): Notify OASIS DITA Technical Communication Subcommittee that they should be prepared to report due next week.

Action Items:
 o  Review open items: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/members/action_items.php

A number of items have been added from prior months' minutes. Please review open items and close any that have already been resolved.


1. New ITEM: DITA 1.2 DTDs and spec not in synch (task model relaxation)
   * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201106/msg00002.html (Jang Graat)
   * Original proposal: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26791/IssueNumber12011v1.2rev3.html
The spec provides for more than one <steps> element. The spec is officially normative; but we believe that this was not our intention for the simplified task model. The Arch Spec says the <steps> element may occur only once. A note in the Language Reference is misleading and needs to be corrected. We are uncertain whether or not notes are normative in the spec, but it must be corrected in any case. We need to correct every occurrence (e.g. <task> and <taskbody>). We do not need to clarify the normative or non-normative status of notes.

1b. ACTION (Kris): reply to Jang Graat and log the need for an erratum.


New ITEM: Request for link to DITA 1.3 feature-proposal template
   * Note from Stan: "At our DITA Help Subcommittee meeting this afternoon we realized that we could not find a link to a "final" version of the DITA 1.3 feature proposal template."
   * Here is the link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/41578/1-3template.dita


2. ITEM: Triage of DITA complexity list and potential solutions
   * Wiki page: "What do people (really) mean when they say "DITA is too complex"?

General perception of complexity
> Issues 9 and 21 seem to be Adoption issues. Work on constraints and simplified types addresses issues 11 and 18. The TC can provide a starter set of DTDs and constraints for the Adoption TC to present and promote. This has been discussed in the BusDocs SC.  There are questions of fit to that SC's scope and charter. What is needed is a list of constrained doctypes, or a  model for them. Activities include bouncing initial design models off constituencies, including users in different domains, and including the BusDocs SC. We need someone to own and project-manage this. Michael and Don are interested in participating as a skunkworks activity within the TC. Members of the TC and of the BusDocs SC are solicited to participate and perhaps own.

ACTION (Bruce): Ask members of the Business Documents SC to help provide a starter set of DTDs and constraints for the Adoption TC to present and promote. 

Issue 10 is an adoption issue. Information typing is a benefit but not necessarily a requirement. Use of any elements other than <topic> and <Map> asserts a typing of content. Don is available to help with questions they may have. The DITA maturity model is an essential framework for organizing and orienting this effort. (Kudos to Michal and Amber.)

ACTION (Bruce): communicate adoption issues to the ATC. 

Usage patterns and learning
> The solution calls for a brief "reading guide to DITA spec" that correlates features to usage/demographics. What's the learning path at each stage of the maturity model? How to move to the next level? (Organizations and individuals sometimes get stuck.) Individual TC members are encouraged to contribute rough draft material to the Adoption TC. Stan, Darryl, Kris, and Don have volunteered.

ACTION (Bruce): alert the ATC that they may receive draft material on usage patterns and learning (might be piecemeal contributions).

> Issue 13 may be related to creation of example constraints, above, and to issue 23 that we discussed two weeks ago. The phrase "OASIS-certified sample files" suggests test files, but that's a distinct case. To address perceptions of complexity, we need example files illustrating how to use the features.

CONTINUED: We need to revisit this next week and make sure we have finished with this one.

8:50-8:55 PT Announcements/Opens
8:55 PT Adjourn

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]