Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal 13031: Add Line-Through

Hi,

I'm with Richard in not liking the idea of tying 'strikethrough' to revision/change tracking.  However we decide to semantically describe change tracking, I don't want to prescribe how someone has to present those semantics, even if the DITA-OT makes choices in its processing.

I looked at Eliot's list of 'formatting' additions and in addition to strikethrough, I also find the following to be compelling additions to the highlighting domain:
-  overline  (heavily used, btw,  in semiconductor documentation)
-  bold italic
-  roman - removal of bold and/or italic

My reasoning is that these are all, like most of the other highlighting elements, glyph-based but not typeface-based presentation (don't get me started on <tt>, but I know it's historical and can't be avoided.).  If we put these items anywhere except hi-d, it will be very counter-intuitive for people looking for such things.  I would favor adding them to hi-d, creating a constraint module to remove them, and including the constraint module by default in all the vocabulary modules calling hi-d, the way we do with the strictTaskbodyConstraint in tasks for 1.2.

I don't consider any of the other items in the formatting group to fall naturally into the same category.  Even though blink does meet the glyph-based/non-typeface-based model, and could probably be construed as 'highlighting' in some sense, it doesn't feel like the same thing.

my $.02

Nancy