Subject: 13094 [was: OASIS DITA TC Minutes 1 Nov 2011 uploaded]

No only tool vendors, but all the customers that have started with
the XSDs and customized/specialized them.  And, if I understand
it correctly, the change isn't to help anyone using DITA doctypes
in the usual manner, it's to help someone who wants to convert
DITA XSDs to Java objects, which I don't remember being a user
requirement for DITA 1.*.

> Don suggested that the item may be to provide a study of design
> patterns rather than merely a proposal for new one.
> He recommended to defer this for a couple of weeks so interested
> parties can
> Eric noted that it's currently very easy to convert the DITA DTD to
> XSD, so output that comes out is fairly consistent. With new design
> patterns, that would no longer be true; we'd need brand new tools built
> from scratch. Eric will ask JJ if he's willing to talk to TC about what
> he's trying to get.
> Eric committed to post the proposal by COB on 1 Nov. (today) to give
> folks time to look at it.  Any tool vendor or schema designer who plans
> to work with DITA schemas need to see it, and it will take a fair
> amount of effort to evaluate.
> In order to give all interested parties a chance to investigate the
> current state of work, this is deferred to the first TC mtg in Dec., on
> 6 Dec.

As suggested above, this isn't something I've had time to evaluate,
and I'm not sure when/if I will, but I'm not sure I could vote for
having such a change in 1.3.  It would be like an incompatible change
in that it could invalidate user's 1.2 implementations, so perhaps it
would be better to hold this off until 2.0.

paul