Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal for sorting elements/topics differently depending on output

Hi Eliot,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that the TC finds a more general sort-as mechanism important.

I've drafted a suggestion for a sort-as mechanism, which in some sense is aligned to the index-sort-as possibility in DITA 1.2 (see attached doc). Do let me know your thoughts on the suggested mechanism. There are probably several scenarios (combinations with other DITA features etc) that could make the suggested mechanism awkward and difficult to use. My suggestion is to first conclude on a basic approach and then evaluate it against more complex content model scenarios before a formal proposal can be made.

My only requirement is that it must be possible to sort elements without being forced to repeat any "end user visible" content or use conref/key-keyref constructs, since both repeating content and use conref/key-keyref constructs makes life of a writer/designer unnecessary complex.

Best regards,
Jonatan

From: Eliot Kimber [ekimber@reallysi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:34 PM
To: Jonatan Lundin; dita

Jonatan,

The TC has directed me to respond.

Proposal 13010, which was originally just for glossary sorting, has been
expended to allow proposal of a more general "sort-as" mechanism, which the
TC agrees is important.

I am the primary owner of this proposal and will be preparing a formal
proposal in the coming weeks. If you have specific requirements or use cases
or ideas for implementation details please forward them to me.

Thanks,

Eliot

On 12/20/11 1:37 AM, "Jonatan Lundin" <Jonatan.Lundin@citec.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I see a need to find a robust mechanism to allow sorting of elements (or whole
> topics) depending on output, which is universe to its nature meaning that such
> a mechanism must not be bound to a specific type of information, business rule
> or content domain. The solution must allow DITA users (writers) to sort
> elements when processing DITA content, without forcing them to build complex
> content models.
>
> The collation has been discussed here:
> idea has not been discussed in DITA machine industry SC, since sorting of
> elements, depending on output, is universal and does not only occur within a
> specific business context.
>
> Collation (sorting) is not supported in DITA 1.2. I have understood that there
> is at least one 1.3 proposal for adding more general sorting support to DITA
> 1.3, but I cannot find it in the DITA 1.3 proposal list. Maybe someone could
> help me find it (or is it proposal 13010?)? The question is if a sorting
> proposal should be made for DITA 1.3. Are there anyone else, except me, that
> has a requirement to sort markup depending on output?
>
> Best regards,
> Jonatan

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 512.554.9368