Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal: Domain for Japanese ruby markup ala HTML5

Please remember that my focus is on everything that is *not* technical
documentation, and expressly includes textbooks as a primary use case.

So saying that tech docs do not need ruby is useful data but not a
compelling argument against the need for it: DITA is *not* just for
technical documentation and we need to remember that when considering new
features.

Is there any *technical* objection to the ruby design as I've presented it?
I would not expect one since I copied the HTML5 design without modification.

When I went to create some sample Japanese DITA documents for my visit to
Japan for the 2010 DITA Festa, I found some Japanese poetry from the
Japanese equivalent of Project Gutenberg. That poetry, marked up in HTML,
used ruby extensively. Those sorts of documents are exactly the type of
document I focus on: non-technical documents. It would have been impossible
for me to create those samples and render them correctly without first
adding ruby markup to my DITA vocabulary, which I did.

So from my standpoint, my current and potential users of DITA could not use
it without ruby markup if they are creating Japanese-language documents.
Given that ruby has been in HTML for decades it seems rather odd in fact
that DITA has not had equivalent markup to date.