Subject: RE: [dita] DITA backlash

Bob,

I appreciate you pointing out the definition of topic used by Information Mapping, and I agree that DITA can model that use of “topic” if used appropriately. And I also agree wholeheartedly that DITA is a TOOL, not a methodology. I think that is a crucial distinction missed by many who enter the DITA world without proper grounding in the principles of structured writing.

However, I will agree with Ms. Haworth that DITA does not make developing well-structured content particularly easy. But perhaps the blame for that is the tool-development community. So many of the authoring tools seem to focus on topic writing but do not adequately provide the means for incorporating those topics into meaningful structure. Just supporting a DITA map view is not enough in my opinion.

As much as I hate to admit it, I’m very happy to see Adobe’s commitment to supporting DITA authoring in FrameMaker (and I’m not saying that I think they haven’t made mistakes, just that they seem to be making an honest effort).

Regards,

Mike

Mike Austin

Content Information Architect

AISG Information Development Systems & Methodologies

Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

Office +1 512 895 8910

mike.austin@freescale.com

This e-mail, and any associated attachments have been classified as:

[X] Public

[ ] Freescale Semiconductor Internal Use Only

[ ] Freescale Semiconductor Confidential Proprietary