Subject: Re: Keyref matching text update

Hi, Chris -- Robert has done the work here.

Kris

On 8/28/2012 9:45 PM, Chris Nitchie wrote:
Eliot,

Thanks for doing this. This will be a big help going forward. I think what
you have here is fine.

One thing I've never understood, though - why are there different rules for
@href-bearing elements and non-@href-bearing elements? It seems like it
would be a lot simpler to specify the same rules for finding 'matching text'
for all key references. I understand that the ship has sailed on that, I'm
just curious what the reasoning was.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert D Anderson [mailto:robander@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:56 PM
To: Eliot Kimber; Kristen James Eberlein; Michael Priestley;
chris.nitchie@oberontech.com; dhelfinstine@ptc.com
Subject: Keyref matching text update

Hi all,

One of my DITA 1.3 items is to clarify how "matching text" works when using
the keyref attribute. For history, it's item 13079 coming out of a note
thread started by Su-Laine. Here's the info about it in our stage 2 proposal
table:
       Update keyref definition to make distinctions between elements.
       Specifically: replacement text is handled differently for several
       elements that are grouped together as elements with @href (xref
       contains plain text, image contains alt text, link contains linktext,
       data does ??). Request is coming out of TC discussions about how to
       handle replacement text for keyref.

       10/4: Proposal to be based on this earlier email:
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201102/msg00059.html

I started to fill out the proposal doc last week and realized it would be
very long with many likely changes before approval. So, I shifted strategy
and put my thoughts in a wiki page for initial discussion, before filling
out the full proposal.

Anyway before taking to the full TC for glazed eyes and Tuesday discussion,
I was hoping some of you might have time to look it over and provide
feedback, so that we can spend less time on it with the full TC. The page is
here:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/KeyrefMatchingText

Comments appreciated... the next step will be to send this wiki page to the
full TC to get wider input before putting together the Stage 2 proposal doc.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)

Kris Kristen James Eberlein
Co-chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)