Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal: Allow <xref> within <shortdesc>

The minutes for last week's meeting indicate the following rationales for this change:

Eliot: DITA should have the fewest constraints as possible.
Michael P.: Since DITA 1.2, processors have had to deal with keyrefs, so the "no links" position is already compromised.

These two positions consider the needs of the following communities:
  • Architects and practitioners who create specializations for their users
  • Vendors who build processors

I think we also need to think of the needs of the end users who author using the OOB DITA DTDs and XSDs. DITA's design means that we already have lots of elements and attributes available in places where they simply don't make sense. Why add another one?

Given the role of the <shortdesc> for hover text and auto-generated link text, I think adding <xref> is inappropriate.

Co-chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Charter member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)