Subject: RE: [dita] Proposal: Allow <xref> within <shortdesc>

I've seen customers who are afraid to develop specializations because they
don't want to become "incompatible with DITA." I've tried to push back hard
against this complete misconception, with limited success. When you ship a
grammar with your standard, peoples' natural assumption is that that's *the*
grammar. Also, specializations are considered - sometimes correctly,
sometimes not, depending on the nature of the change - as costly to develop
and maintain.

All of which is to say, in principle, I agree with Eliot, and in order to
remain as flexible as possible the base doctypes need to be wide open, but
in practice, Kris has a point, in that people tend to ignore or deemphasize
the specialization aspect, especially at the beginning of the adoption
process.

A lot of people - myself included - tend to think of the technical content
DTDs as the 'base' doctypes, even though they're not. Towards the end of
DITA 1.2 we addressed this a bit with the addition of basetopic and basemap,
though they're not particularly emphasized. I think this is one reason
people resist specializations - the technical content doctypes aren't
presented as bases for specialization, they're presented as doctypes for
technical documentation, ready-made. The spec already does a pretty good job
of keeping discussion of the technical content-specific stuff in their own
sections, so I'm not sure there's much that could be done in the spec around
this, but the point that specialization is part and parcel of using DITA -
that it's the primary reason DITA exists - could maybe be emphasized more.

Chris