Subject: Re: [dita] DITA 1.3 documentation -- shall we remove the Contains and "Contains by" tables

Hi Robert,

I know there is an alphabetical list of elements in the specs. It may just be the awkward location of that list in the DITA 1.2 specs that makes people use a text search to find an element. Once you have found the element you are looking for, the Contains / Contained by tables are wonderful methods to traverse the DITA model, jumping from one element to its children or parents. I have used those tables more often than the table of contents or any other navigation. Taking the tables out of the text flow would be pretty devastating.

Many products have a Quick Reference and usually that document is the first thing you find when opening the box. In the DITA 1.2 specs this Quick Reference is buried two levels deep in section 3.5. Moving it to where it should be (immediately after or even before the Table of Contents) would be an easy fix for a problem that is mainly disclosure - not availability - of information.

Ciao

Jang

JANG Communication
Coaching - Copywriting - Consulting