OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 9 October 2012 uploaded

Submitter's message
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday 9 October 2012
Recorded by Tom Magliery

Regrets: Don Day, Michael Boses, Nancy Harrison, Jim Tivy, Seth Park, Dick Hamilton, JoAnn Hackos, Robert Anderson, Michael Priestley

Attendance: Met quorum (just barely)

Standing Business
Minutes from last week
Motion to accept: Kris E
2nd: Adrian W
Approved by acclamation

No subcommittee reports this week

Business items

1. DITA 1.3 Stage 2 proposals ready for vote:

Proposal 13117 - Allow within (Kimber)

Voting by members present:
Deb B: yes
Thilo B: yes
Stan D: yes
Kris E: yes
David H: yes
Eliot K: yes
Tom M: yes
Chris N: yes
Adrian W: yes
100% yes votes, proposal moves forward to Stage 3

2. Discussion of Stage 2 proposals:

Discussion on proposal 13111 - Official domain for MathML (Kimber)

Eliot: What tag name to use for container - suggested a couple of alternatives for "mathml_container" as currently mentioned in proposal, seeking discussion
Autumn: Common practice is "mathml"
Adrian: Wondering what happens if generated HTML is not supported by the supported browser
Eliot: (Explanation)
Eliot: This really enables delivery of MathML in DITA source, and provides more options depending on processing available
Not putting any constraints on how MathML should be viewed, just making a nice way to include MathML on the DITA side
Thilo: For the name, suggest something semantically meaningful e.g. math_formula
Eliot: This is more to explicitly contain MathML (as opposed to being just "math" in any form, such as alternatives LaTeX etc.). Proposal is not meant to provide a general way to include mathematics.
Kris: Where would this vocab module go? Base?
Eliot: Base ... it's broadly applicable
Thilo: Any need to coordinate with MathML committee?
Eliot: No need for active coordination except tracking.
Autumn: Note MathML is maintained by W3C, it's pretty stable right now, Design Science is involved.
Tom: Is name "mathml" commonly used already? If so it might make sense to use that to save users having to update instance docs.
Autumn: Yes, a number of companies are already using Design Science's specialization that uses that name.

Seems as if we have consensus to make the element name "mathml".
Proposal will move on to voting next week.

Kris: Modify Stage 2 proposal template to add a section for mentioning where the new proposal would be integrated into the DTDs.

Discussion on Proposal 13011 - adding line-through and overline elements to highlight domain (Kimber)

Eliot: Q: text-decoration property in CSS also has "blink" and "none" -- what to do about this
gave rationale for leaving them out
wants confirmation as to whether this is OK
Kris: Sounds like a good idea to me
Scott: Another "sounds good" voice

Proposal will move on to voting next week.

Discussion on Proposal 13035 - adding "xml mention" domain for marking up mentions of XML syntactic components (Kimber)

Tom: Where did the tag names come from?
Eliot: Some from XML spec, some "obvious", intended to be concise as possible, open to suggestions
[no other opinions forthcoming]
Kris: What part of spec?
Eliot: Base
Kris: Do we have to have the element names nailed down now in Stage 2?
Eliot: Probably not
Deb: Include semicolons on the "suggested renditions" for entities?
Eliot: Semicolon not technically part of the name, it's a separator so not strictly necessary

Eliot to look at the one TBD remaining in the proposal
Probably ready for vote as soon as the TBD is fixed

ACTION ITEM: Tom to send email to [dita-users] asking if anyone has concern about tag names

Discussion on Proposal 13044 - allow elements within %basic.ph; within

Tom: No personal objection, but could imagine someone having an objection based on the reason was originally constrained. Do we know the reason?
Eliot, Kris: recollection that original definition of was only a reflection of IBM practice and that they would have no objection to relaxing this constraint
Scott: Maybe it was because was never expected to be rendered

Proposal will move on to voting next week.

Discussion on proposal 13118 - adding Ruby domain

Eliot: domain would be added to base
Scott(?): Reason not a container?
Eliot: Would not add anything in this case. Better to simply use tag names that match HTML names. This just adds 4 new elements to DITA.

Ran out of time and will continue discussion on this proposal at the next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 10:00am Pacific time.
-- Mr. Tom Magliery
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 9 October 2012

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Tom Magliery
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2012-10-09 15:05:15

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]