OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 JFebruary 2013 uploaded

Submitter's message
submitted the following as meeting notes for 12 Feb 2013

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Recorded by N. Harrison

regrets: joann, seth, michael

Standing Business
minutes from last meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201302/msg00010.html (5 February, Park; uploaded by Eberlein)
moved by Kris, seconded by Nancy, approved by TC

ubcommittee Reports
Machine Industry SC for Feb; Don will remind Chris Kravogel (SC chair)

Kris reported on the new OASIS policy for public comments, which was released recently. We're already doing the things they're recommending.
One item of partiular note is the new policy on committee notes; starting 2/14, TCs publishing 'Committee Notes' just need to get them approved by a majority of the TC; they don't have to go through the whole specification approval process.


There was a short discussion regarding upcoming proposals, what might be in the pipeline coming up.

Eliot is working on a proposal with Joann to add a citation element to shortdesc, but it seemed to make more sense to broaden it and allow cite in title content generally; the updated proposal should be ready for discussion next week.

1. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 1: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-triage

Ready for discussion: None
Ready for vote (simple majority): None

2. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 2: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage2

Ready for discussion: None
Ready for vote (roll call):

#13116: Add the element to the content of title, xref, and other title-like elements (Kimber)

Voting results:
yes (unanimous) Robert Anderson, Adrian Warman, Mike Boses, Stan Doherty, Dick Hamilton, Don Day, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Tom Magliery, Deb Bissantz, Chris Nitchie, David Helfinstine, Eliott Kimber, Thhilo Buchholz

Stage #2 verion of Proposal 13116 is approved

3. TC process for producing specification documents;
- Kris walked us thru the current process, which requires a great deal of hand work by herself and Robert. We have a functioning DITA plugin to publish working output, but it doesn't work to create the Contains/ContainedBy tables for elements in the language reference. It would be nice to automate that work, but considering the recent controversy over whether those sections should be in the documents, it doesn't make sense to do so until a decision is made. Robert thinks we'll probably need to end up with the ability to create alternate views, and the current tool isn't Java-compatible
- The TC has had discussions on having a Relax NG version, but we don't have one now, and since DTDs are vetted and RelaxNG schemas would be new and untried, Robert doesn't think that's a good bet for 1.3. Since the language ref has to be updated every time we made changes to DTDs, just to check that the changes were OK, this is a major issue not just for us, but now, with the SIDSC planning an independent profile, for that SC as well.
- With participation by Robert, MikeB, JimT, and Kris, there was a discussion about other possible tools for doing the job, including Wutka and Instincttools.
- Kris; agreed with Robert that before we make requests for tools, we need to know what output we want.
Robert offered to put out some prototyes within the next month.

ActionItem; Robert, MikeB, JimT will exchange info on possible tooling strategies, etc.

4. DITA 1.3 rate of progress
- Kris started the discussion by noting that at current rate of progress, 1.3 might not appear before 2016-7. During the dicussion, the following points were agreed on:
- we need tto have individual deadlines and milestones for proposals, as well as for the project as a whole. We can work thee out be starting with a target delivery date and working backwards.
- we need to be willing to drop items if they can't meet the dates and aren't absolutely essential for the release.
- we could really use a project manager, which wsa the role Kris played for 1.2. Many contributors are comfortable being nagged by a PM. Kris was willing to do that for 1.3.
- since OASIS doesn't have nay effective workflow mgmt softwaare, we should look for something to help us manage the work. Possible tools mentioned were Trello, Kanban, and Grasshopper (add-on to OASIS tool).
- Ask for volunteers within group - particularly those without direct responsibility for a proposal - for help in doing the proposal writeup that will be required as part of Stage 3.
- get clarity on which parts of 1.3 depend on other parts, and which parts are the most essential.

The following action items were decided on:
AI 1. During the coming week, all owners of multiple (>2) DITA 1.3 proposals will come up with a prioritized list for their individual proposals, including self-imposed constraints and deadlines, as well as dependencies on other proposals.
AI 2. Kris will contact all the owners of multiple proposals to go over their prioritized lists, with a goal of having these prioritized lists available for next week's TC meeting.
AI 3. Mark Myers will communicate with Robert A wrt tooling to help us with publishing DITA documents, especially the Contains/ContainedBy content. In particular, they can discuss whether there are existing tools - open source or not - that we could use.
AI 4. Interested TC members will review the current list of Stage 2/Stage 3 proposals and come up with their own prioritized lists of DITA 1.3 proposals, which they'll send to Kris and Don.

meeting closed at 11:59

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 JFebruary 2013

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2013-02-18 23:45:50

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]