Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal 13056: Extension to syntax for built-in selection attributes

Hi Eliot,

When writing up the phase 2 proposal, I kept thinking there should be
something in there about subject schemes, but eventually decided that 1) it
wasn't a critical part of the proposal, 2) implementations could probably
do extra scheme validation whether or not the spec describes it, and 3)
trying to come up with a good description made my head spin so I decided to
keep it out of the main proposal.

My thought process was - you can have a subject scheme that declares the
key "product", and then declares "database" and "appserver" as sub-keys. An
application is (or should be) well within its rights to do fancy validation
on that - to make sure any group within @product is defined as a
subcategory of product within your scheme. However, I don't think we can or
should mandate that, which is why I stopped working on language for it.

I think options for including it are:
1) Make it a non-normative example
2) It can be left as part of 13115 (proposal to explicitly connect ditaval
and subject scheme); I'm planning to send a note out about that proposal
this week
3) Somebody can help work out good language to describe this as an optional
part of the current feature 13056.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)