Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 February 2013 uploaded

Submitter's message
Here are last week's minutes.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Recorded by N. Harrison

regrets: Eliot Kimber, Scott Hudson, JoAnn Hackos

Standing Business
=================
Minutes from last meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201302/msg00060.html (19 February, Harrison)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Dick H., approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports:
Machine Industry SC; Chris Kravogel (SC chair)
Chris not present, so postponed to next week.

Announcements:
None

Business
========

1. DITA 1.3 progress

Progress between 19-26 February 2013: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201302/msg00061.html

Update on deadlines: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201302/msg00062.html

Proposal #13056 - Robert expects to have an update by next TC meeting
Proposal #1310? - ChrisN will have update on that soon.
Hopefully, we'll be discussing both of these within the next few weeks

Kris will reach out to TC members responsible for a single proposal
to get deadlines for those proposals.
In response to question from Mark Myers, TC reviewed requirements for a Stage 3 proposal; it needs to be complete except for 'contains/contained by' tables; if a proposal owner needs feedback in preparing it, they should contact appointed reviewers or send mail to the TC list for feedback, prior to the item coming up for discussion in the TC..

Kris asked that submitters provide 'real' examples where examples are called for, ths accuracy and completeness of these affect their eventual incorporation in the spec, as well as our decisions about the proposals.

Trello Board:
URL for Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/gPKH0OcF
As of 26 Feb 2013, the following voting members still need to join: Thilo Bucholtz, Seth Park, Adrian Warman (adrian did it during meeting)
people want to note support for priorities

2. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 2: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage2
Ready for discussion:
None
Ready for vote: Voting options are "Yes," "No," "No objections," "I don't understand the proposal," and "I have reservations"

#13027: Allow in more places (Kimber)
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/48293/proposal-13027-draft-comment-everywhere.html (HTML)
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/46214/proposal-13027.dita (DITA)

Voting results:
yes Deb Bissantz, Stan Doherty, Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, David Helfinstine, Adrian warman , Tom Magliery, Thilo buchholz, Chris Nitchie
no objection Robert Anderson, Michael Boses, Don Day, Kris Eberlein, Michael Priestley
Result: #13035 is now in Stage 3

#13029: Allow in more places (Kimber)
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/48300/proposal-13029-text-everywhere.html (HTML)
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/48299/proposal-13029-text-everywhere.dita (DITA)

Voting results:
yes Deb Bissantz, Stan Doherty, Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, David Helfinstine, Tom Magliery, Thilo Buchholz,
no objection Robert Anderson, Michael Boses, Don Day, Kris Eberlein, Michael Priestley, Adrian Warman, Chris Nitchie
Result: #13029 is now in Stage 3

NEW ITEM:
Don broughtup the issue of the status of the Yahoo dita-users group; He would prefer that this group continue to be the one used by users, to avoid fragmenting the community, and the problem with including angle brackets in text appears to be fixed. MichaelP agreed, though with the caveat that if another problem comes up, and Yahoo responds as slowly as they did with this, we should make a change.
TC discussion generally agreed with this position; folks will do some more testing of the Yahoo list to be sure the problem is fixed.

3. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 3: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage3

Ready to assign reviewers
None
Ready for Discussion
None
Ready for vote: Voting options are "Yes," "No," and "Abstain"
None

4. 11:30 AM ET: Presentation and discussion with Christian Lieske and Felix Sasaki about ITS locNote

This is in response to TC's question; how well is ITS @locnote supported in translation tools?
Background: As an outgrowth of active discussions about product names, reuse, and translation, JoAnn Hackos suggested that we consider adding a mechanism comparable to its:locNote to DITA. Eliot Kimber proposed some options, which we discussed, but TC members very much wanted to know how well its:locNote was supported by current translation tools. The
presentation was followed by a brief discussion

Helpful links provided by Christian:

1. Intro to W3C ITS (includes info on relationship to XLIFF, and use of ITS in tools/frameworks)
http://www.tekom.de/upload/2913/LOC12_Sasaki_Lieske.pdf
Most relevant are pages: 21 ? 23, 40 ? 42, 52 ? 54 and 63
2. The Best Practices document that explains what XML Application Designers (DTD writers etc.) may want to consider, and an example of to how to use DITA and ITS
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#idIntroHow
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#dita-its-relating
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#associating-its-with-existing-markup
2. Usages Scenarios for Processes based on ITS 2.0 Data Categories
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/Use_cases_-_high_level_summary
3. Data Category that allows content to be either extracted as in-line codes or as sub-flows (independent translation units)
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#elements-within-text
4. Data Category that allows content to be marked as ?term? (and to be associated with additional information)
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#terminology

Other helpful links:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201301/msg00047.html (Hackos, 28 Jan 2013; contains e-mail from Lieske)
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#AuthInsText (Best Practice 22, W3C Best Practices for XML Internationalization, 2008)
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/48134/minutes20130129.txt (Minutes, TC meeting on 29 Jan 2013)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201301/msg00052.html (Kimber, 29 Jan 2013)
Overview of ITS, including mechanisms to associate ITS with existing markup (see http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#associating-its-with-existing-markup)
Existing bridges between DITA and ITS (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#dita-its-relating)
Existing ITS processing support

closed at 12:01

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 February 2013

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison