Subject: Re: Key precedence, binding of controlled values, and subjectScheme

My take ...

For question #1 - I think the duplicate key is ignored, and that your
understanding is correct. Where is that example today in the spec?

For question #2 - I think the goal there is to extend the values, rather
than to override. The idea of a baseScheme pulled in with <schemeref> is
that the baseScheme supplies a core set of value, and the local scheme
extends it with local values (rather than changing it). I haven't done a
deep read of this scenario in the spec lately, but it seems to be backed up
by the definition of <schemeref>:
Typically, the referenced scheme defines a base set of controlled values
extended by the current scheme. The values in the referenced scheme are
merged with the current scheme; the result is equivalent to specifying all
of the values in a single map.
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/schemeref.html

That said, the examples in the spec show extending a category already
associated with @platform, rather than defining a second set of values
associated with @platform, so I don't think your exact example is covered
today (at least in the examples I found in a quick check).

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)