Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 2 April 2013 uploaded

Submitter's message
minutes for today's meeting
=============================

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 2 April 2013
Recorded by N. Harrison

regrets: Adrian Warman, Seth Park, David Helfinstine

Standing Business
=================
Minutes from last meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00087.html (26 March, Harrison)
Proposed by Don, seconded by DickH, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports:
[It seems clear that the Machine Industry SC may not be active again.]
DITA Adoption TC will report for 1st meeting in May
Note: there is a meeting of Help SC at 4 today (2April); Kris will forward meeting info to the TC list.

Announcements:
None

Business
========
1. DITA 1.3 progress
Progress between March 25-31, 2013: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201304/msg00001.html
Update on deadlines: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00071.html
URL for Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/gPKH0OcF
Kris went over progress and deadline updates (all reflected online on Trello Board).

2. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 2: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage2

Ready for discussion on 2 April:
DITAVAL style enhancements (Nitchie)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00077.html (HTML)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00078.html (DITA)
- Chris gave an overview; style is currently a name group attribute, so authors can only specify one; proposal is to replace enumerated list with NMTOKEN values, to allow multiple simultaneous values (e.g. " bold italic"), and also allows processors to create special values (e.g. 'blink'). Processors would have to support inclusion of the original set of values for backwards compatibility, plus the 'line-through' value being added to the highlighting domain at 1.3.
- Chris had considered adding to the original proposal by mandating inclusion of all the tag names for the highlighting domain, but after some discussion, it was agreed that doing so would add more problems/complexity than it would fix. However, to the extent that it makes sense, we'll make the attempt to keep this attribute and the values in the highlighting domain in sync.
Since it would be possible for some processors to allow both our styles and 'CSS' styles as options, if there were 2 names for the same style, and an author selected them both, processing rule would be for the processor to ignore the second choice.

Resolution; TC will vote on this next week, after ChrisN has had a chance to update his proposal.
Action Item; Chris will update his proposal and send it out to the TC.

Ready for vote: Voting options are "Yes," "No," "No objections," "I don't understand the proposal," and "I have reservations"
None

3. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 3: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage3
Ready to assign reviewers
None
Discussion
None
Ready for vote: Voting options are "Yes," "No," and "Abstain"
None

4. Continuing item: Clarification around subjectScheme
Are subject schemes global?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201304/msg00004.html
Which attribute value is binding?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00049.html

- After last week's thorough discussion of this item, Kris, Robert, Eliot, and Eric Sirois had a phone conversation about it with George Bina and Radu Coravu from Oxygen, regarding the question of whether subject scheme maps always need to be global. The conclusion was that they always are; that is, any subject definition is global over the scope of the entire root map. Given this conclusion, it becomes clear that enumeration bindings need to inherit the same way as key definitions, from the root map down.
- Kris, Eliot, Robert and Jim Tivy discussed his perspectives on the subject, including the possibility of abandoning merge rules, but that isn't an option because it would break backwards compatibility.

Action Item; Kris will own documenting this for the spec, and will come up with some guidelines for organizing subjectscheme definitions. Most importantly, effectivity will follow the same rules that it does for keys; the highest level definition takes precedence for effectivity.

5. New ITEM: Definition Handing
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00081.html (Tivy, 26 March)
As it relates to the above discussion, this item will go into a holding area unless/untill we have a decision on scoped keys.

6. New ITEM: Proposal for improved table accessibility
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00085.html (Hudson, 29 March)
- Scott Hudson gave an overview; this topic came up some time ago in the DocBook Publisher's SC to improve table accessibility; DocBook uses the CALS table scheme, which doesn't deal very well with accessibility. The DocBook Publisher's SC decided to augment CALS by incorporating some HTML extensions. In light of their general applicability, the DocBook TC then decided to include the items into full DocBook as well.
Basically, the changes are as follows:

1. add @rowheader to table element (for first-colum headers only) or to colspec element (to identify individual columns as headers).
2. add @scope to ; this can include either 'row', 'col', or 'colgroup' to identify how the entry is to be used as a header.
3. use the @headers and @xml:id attributes in conjunction within elements; entries that are to use a particular entry as a row or column header include the 'headers=""' attribute, where is the @id of the entry which will serve as the ascribed header.

- In addition, there's the issue of providing a screenreader 'summary' for a table. There's no @summary attribute in CALS, and @summary is going away in HTML5. But should be allowed within HTML tables, and it's already allowed in DocBook tables, so we just need to document this as a use for it.
- Don; In DITA, we use caption in also for the title of a table.
- Scott; There could end up haing some dual usage; we could add a @summary, but for translation, we'd definitely want an element rather than an attribute.
- Robert; If you put something in 2 places, screen readers will ordinarily display it twice, we've run into this problem at IBM.
- Don; Has the DocBook TC gotten any feedback from implementation vendors?
- Scott; The proposer for this change had quite a bit of experience working with screen readers, and it seems to have been acceptable.
- Don; But from the authoring tool side, since CALS is ubiquitous in editors, has there been any pushback. There might not be so much, since it just adds optional additions.
- Robert; I wonder how many of the new attributes are strictly necessary for source content? If you can indicate that an entry is a header for a row, the author shouldn't have to go in and identify everything that references it
- Scott; The real issue is when you have complex spans.
- Robert; But shouldn't it be all fully HTML-compatible?

Resolution: this discussion will resume next week, with a focus on the implementation impact.

closed at 12 noon

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 2 April 2013

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison