Subject: RE: [dita] Groups - DITA 1.3 Proposal 13004 uploaded

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting this.  My post last week addressed this also.

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201303/msg00081.html

I think that if we define  definition scope discussion of these matters will be easier.

Let me take a run at it...

Definition scope is merged map “element scope” including any topics referenced within that merge map element scope.

I realize we need to define merged map – but roughly I mean all the referenced maps inlined into  one big map starting at the root map.

By “element scope” mean that for any element in XML, all the child elements are in scope.

Also, if we like, we could define global definition scope to mean the scope of the root element of the merged map.

Is this what you mean by “scope” in your proposal?  Are there other words that serve us better?

A shared definition would help here before commenting further on your proposal.

cheers

Jim