Subject: RE: [dita] Attribute cascade proposal

Greetings,

I like #4 in general also:

#4 Rather than a blanket policy it might be nice to be able to say cascade="NOMERGE audience otherprops specAttrFromProps ZIPPERMERGE product". I wouldn't want to presume that a customer would always want all or nothing, nor that all would want to have the same cascade. The idea above is the uppercased items are the tokens and those things that come after would apply. Those that weren't specified would work the default way of merging.

If it is set on a map by map basis, the DITA 1.2 spec says this:

	As with values that cascade within a map, the cascading is additive if the attribute permits 	multiple values (such as @audience). When the attribute only permits one value, the cascading 	value overrides the top-level element.

So there would have to be some addition as to which policy wins ( probably the outer map setting as with other overriding items) but that needs some consideration as mentioned.

FYI:
Some releases back we realized that many of our customers had a need to specify the behavior that you described. These customers were often using our "profiling" feature which depended on profiling attributes NOT merging. The way that Chris mentioned was a way to do this via specialization (yes, the name is backwards) but many customers wanted out of the box behavior also.

Currently we provide a "global" out of the box way for customers to set a policy of whether attributes that normally merge will merge or not merge. Making this standardized would be great.

Thanks all.

- Dave H.

Dave Helfinstine
DHelfinstine@ptc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Chris Nitchie
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:32 PM
To: 'Robert D Anderson'; 'dita'

Arbortext has an a proprietary approach to this, too, but it's done in the definition of the attribute specialization, and not specified in the map, so it may not work for all the necessary use cases. If an attribute is a specialization of props-nooverride - that is, its @domains token looks like "a(props props-nooverride attrName)", then for that attribute - that attribute only, and all instances of that attribute - new values on child branches/elements override values inherited from parent branches/elements, instead of merging. (Yes, the naming is awkward and probably backwards.) This wouldn't handle the specific example here, because @platform wouldn't be specialized from props-nooverride, and you can't make some instances of 'nooverrides' attributes merged and others non-merging, but it seems to have worked well enough for our purposes.

Chris