Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal 13042: @objid Attribute

I should have been more specific. First, here is more information about the source CMS. Every time the source CMS exports a DITA map, the map's entire resource, dependency-tree gets exported, creating a collection that contains all resources needed to publish it. Moreover, each of the links within the dependency tree get translated so that they will resolve within the exported collection. The linking graph in the exported collection is valid and it is isomorphic with linking graph for the corresponding DITA map in the source CMS. This functionality passes the import-then-export test.

Now, suppose you had two bookmaps that re-use only a single front-matter topic (LegalStuff.dita). Exporting either bookmap results in a valid DITA collection (link-integrity preserved) that can be published. Exporting both bookmaps results in two separate collections, each of which contain an autonomous copy of LegalStuff.dita. The challenge for migration is how do you import these two autonomous collections into the target CMS such that both point to same instance of LegalStuff.dita? Merging the two collections does not work (there could be other same-named topic pairs that contain different content). Even if you applied ad hoc renaming during the merge, this solution would become unwieldy should several hundred publications need to be migrated. If the LegalStuff.dita object ID is not embeded in these autonomous copies of LegalStuff.dita or in the links to LegalStuff.dita there is no way to know these two publications were re-using the same topic in the source CMS.

Regards,
Bob