Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - Proposal 62, Table Accessibility (DITA Source) modified

Hi Scott,

When reading the proposal it seems hard to distinguish between what is
possible today and what is new. Can you fill out the "Proposed changes"
section of the template with an overview of the actual changes to DITA?

More generally, I think people unfamiliar with DITA tables would read this
proposal and get the impression that tables cannot be made accessible
today. I'd like to note that using the DITA-OT today, almost all of the
tables in your examples would generate HTML with all required headers/id
associations. The only exception is table 3, which uses multiple header
rows, because DITA doesn't yet provide a way to identify that. I think it
would be good if the "use case" section was updated to provide samples of
what cannot be done today.

Apart from those issues, I have several more specific comments / questions:
1. Minor item - though I like to focus on the DITA-OT myself, the
processing impacts should really be more general, as the toolkit is just
one of many DITA tools out there
2. I'm not sure I understand why we would create "summary" as an attribute
- in DITA 1.1, we deprecated all attributes with translatable text and
created elements instead. So, I would expect that the table summary should
follow that pattern. This shouldn't be an issue for HTML, as any DITA
content rendered as HTML already has to undergo some sort of
transformation.
3. Are you suggesting that we add the @xml:id attribute in addition to the
existing @id attribute? If so, is there a reason that @id does not work?
4. It looks like the code samples use DocBook rather than DITA
5. In the "processing impact" section, I think it would be good to point
out that tools which already automate the id/headers association will need
to be updated to change that automation - presumably respecting the
author's manual selection instead of the automated one.

Thanks,

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)