Subject: Re: [dita] Re: Here is a new version of the Ruby proposal

The discussion we had at last-week's meeting was that it's not a big deal to
leave the Ruby proposal out of DITA 1.3 since we can provide it through
other channels, such as DITA for Publishers, where I can maintain it in sync
with the HTML5 design as it changes.

On 8/19/13 11:38 AM, "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> As chair of the Translation Subcommittee, I sent this notice to several
> members. Felix Sasaki from Japan responded to the Ruby proposal. I did sent
> this note to Eliot when I received it.
>
> Would everyone please consider Felix's comments when we decide what to do
> about the ruby proposal.
>
> Best,
> JoAnn
>
> JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
> President
> Comtech Services Inc.
> 710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
> Denver, CO 80215
> Joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
> 303-232-7586
>
> CIDM will be hosting the Best Practices Conference in Savannah, Georgia
> September 16-18. More information at:
> http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/bestpractices/2013/index.htm
> <http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/bestpractices/2013/index.htm>
>

> From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
> Date: Friday, August 9, 2013 5:48 AM
> To: JoAnn Hackos <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>
> Cc: Andrzej Zydron <azydron@xml-intl.com>, "Rodolfo M. Raya"
> <rodolfo@heartsome.net>
> Subject: Re: Here is a new version of the Ruby proposal
>
> Dear JoAnn, all,
>
> apologies for the late reply, due to holiday and travel. I shared this within
> the W3C i18n working group. There was no official review (again due to absence
> of people), but some people stated the same opinion: the DITA ruby proposal
> looks like aligned with the HTML ruby definition. But that Ruby definition in
> HTML5 is not stable yet, so it might be a good approach to postpone Ruby in
> DITA until final Ruby solution is created for HTML5.
>
> To decide about this, it also might be relevant for you that the ePub
> community working in IDPF and in W3C in the new digital publishing interest
> group
> http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/
> is also closely aligning with HTML5 in this area (and others). For ease the
> adaptation of generation workflows DITA > HTML or DITA > ePub3 (=based on
> HTML5), the alignment might help as well.
>
> Below are some links about the work currently going on around the Ruby
> revision. Let me know if you have more questions.
>

> 1)
> Requirements for Japanese Text Layout
> http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/
> Particularly relevant sections include:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#ruby_and_emphasis_dots
> and
> http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#positioning_of_jukugoruby
>

> 2)
> HTML Ruby Markup Extensions spec
> http://darobin.github.io/html-ruby/
>

> 3)
> Use Cases & Exploratory Approaches for Ruby Markup
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-ruby-use-cases-20120710/
> latest editor's draft at http://www.w3.org/International/docs/ruby/
>
> 4) No 3) references "Ruby extension markup"
> http://www.w3.org/International/notes/ruby-extension/
> [...]

Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
Main: 512.554.9368
www.rsicms.com
www.rsuitecms.com
Book: DITA For Practitioners, from XML Press,
http://xmlpress.net/publications/dita/practitioners-1/