Subject: Re: Question about the sort-as proposal

I don't think I say that the *FO* processor handles sorting, I just say that
sorting is up to processors generally, however they might do it and whatever
they might be doing it for.

Because DITA doesn't specify output-specific processing I don't think we can
say anything more than "if you do sorting, use the sort keys as specified".
The details of how sorting is implemented are necessarily very specific to
not only processor implementations, but to locally-configured sorting and
grouping details, all of which is way beyond the scope of the DITA
specification.

On 8/21/13 9:35 AM, "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
> We have been reviewing the proposals as they've been coming through. Have a
> question about the sort-as proposal:
>
> You note that the FO processor is responsible for the sort-as markup (when its
> applied). However, should we be more clear on levels of conformance? How to
> handle sort-as in the process is complex and the three common used FO
> processors (Apache FOP, RenderX, Antenna House) don't handle it the same way
> or at the same level of functionality or at all well, for that matter. Should
> we specify something more about the required conformance to the standard?
>
> Best regards,
> JoAnn
>
> JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
> President
> Comtech Services Inc.
> 710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
> Denver, CO 80215
> Joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
> 303-232-7586
>
> CIDM will be hosting the Best Practices Conference in Savannah, Georgia
> September 16-18. More information at:
> http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/bestpractices/2013/index.htm
> <http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/bestpractices/2013/index.htm>

Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
Main: 512.554.9368
www.rsicms.com
www.rsuitecms.com
Book: DITA For Practitioners, from XML Press,
http://xmlpress.net/publications/dita/practitioners-1/