OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 20 Aug 2013 uploaded

Submitter's message
Note action items:
1. All TC members need to review the release management proposal (link below)
2. Eliot will contact Felix Sasaki re: status of HTML5 wrt ruby elements

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 20 August 2013
Recorded by N. Harrison

regrets: Deb Bissantz

Standing Business
Minutes from last meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00012.html (6 August, Nancy Harrison)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Joann, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports:
DITA Adoption TC Sept


1. DITA 1.3 progress
Progress: No changes
Update on current deadlines: http://chris.nitchie.com/trellotrack/#511a73d76ee890a51c0007ed
Trello Board: https://trello.com/b/gPKH0OcF
Priority for Aug is to finish stage 2 proposals

2. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 2: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage2

Special meetings were held last week on the proposals from the Help SC (13060, 13061) and the troubleshooting topic proposal (13097). (The results of the troubleshooting topic meeting are covered below, with the discussion of 13097.)

Help SC proposals meeting (Stan's overview) included Stan, MichaelP, Robert, Kris, and Tony Self, the author of the proposals. As a result of the meeting, the Context ID proposal, 13060, will be modified to implement the change as an expansion to resourceid, rather than a specialization of it. Tony Self has written up the changes and submitted them for review
For 13061 (window placement), the conclusion of the meeting was to let that proposal stand as written.

Ready for vote:

Proposal 13106: Updates to learning domain interactions elements
Proposed by JohnH, 2nded by Scott, approved unanimously
Yes votes: Anderson, Day, Doherty, Eberlein, Hackos, Hamilton, Harrison, Helfinstine, Hudson, Kimber, Magliery, Nitchie, Warman

Proposal 13112: RelaxNG for DITA vocabulary (Kimber)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00082.html (HTML)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00084.html (PDF)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00083.html (DITA)
Proposed by Eliot, 2nded by DickH, approved unanimously
Yes votes: Anderson, Day, Doherty, Eberlein, Hackos, Hamilton, Harrison, Helfinstine, Hudson, Kimber, Magliery, Nitchie, Warman

Proposal 13061: UA Window Definition (Help SC)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00103.html (DITA, uploaded 31 July)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201307/msg00104.html (HTML, uploaded 31 July)
Proposed by stan, 2nded by Joann, approved unanimously
Yes votes: Anderson, Day, Doherty, Eberlein, Hackos, Hamilton, Harrison, Helfinstine, Hudson, Kimber, Magliery, Nitchie, Warman

Ready for discussion:
Proposal 13097: New troubleshooting topic
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00042.html (DITA)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00041.html (HTML)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00040.html (PDF)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00039.html (DITA-OT plug-in)
Bob Thomas reported; during the mid-week special meeting, one major conclusion was that the current IBM troubleshooting structure, or at least trying to maintain compatibility with that structure, was having a negative impact on creating an appropriate new structure. As a result, Michael and Robert released the requirement that #13097 had to be backwards compatibles with IBM's structure. Having done that, they immediately realized that a number of elements could be tightened up. The only question left is whether we'll need titles be on the 3 section-type elements. The TechComm SC has agreed to remove titles from the content model in those elements.
- Kris; changing the backwards compatibility requirement made this much more OOTB usable.
- Robert; maintaining compatibility meant that users had to choose between 2 ways to do anything; they would have been very confused.
- Kris; I highly recommend that folks work with Bob's DITA-OT plugin to test the content models.
Resolution; vote next week

3. DITA 1.3 proposals, stage 3: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Proposals-stage3

Stage 3 review process: Responsibilities of proposal owner and reviewers
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201306/msg00126.html (Eberlein, 25 June)

Ready for discussion

Proposal 13118: New domain for Ruby markup (Kimber; reviewed by Harrison and Hamilton)
{*} https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00015.html (recommendation from JoAnn)
- Kris; where do we stand on this; should we move forward or not?
- Eliot; We either go forward with this, with risk that HTML5 will change away from it, or postpone it. Since it's already in D4P, it's already available to anyone who needs it, and that can be updated without having to go through the OASIS process.
- Joann; Felix, the Japanese expert on the TechComm SC, recommended that it wait.
- Eliot; There is, of course a question as to whether HTML5 will ever be finalized...
- Don; they've committed to not changing the number
[discussion on lack of stability of HTML5 - it can and will change at any time]
- Don; do we want to track HTML5 or not? as a standard or a transformational target?
Resolution; Eliot will contact Felix on status of ruby in HTML5

Ready for vote:

4, New ITEM: [dita-techcomm] DITA 3.0 Stage 2 release management (13102) proposal question
{*} https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201308/msg00009.html
Stan gave overview; (Tom Cihak came on later, after having had some trouble connecting) Tom & he SC identified areas that have architectural issues (e.g. what's a list vs. an editable list? should the information be in booklists, or a tight little specialization of prolog?)
- Kris; is SC now thinking in terms of a smaller proposal?
- TomC; the plan is to specialize prolog, plus put in a placeholder for elements that aren't processed by the DITA-OT, but could be harvested downstream by a processor. Booklists was suggested, but booklists are published in the document, and this content ordinarily wouldn't be.
- Eliot; anything done for this shouldn't be specific to bookmap, should work for maps generally.
- Don; notes need to be collected where they lie or in some gathering place.
- Joann; one of our major use cases was medical devices; those manufacturers have to create a report on every note within their documents.
- TomC; we're doing same thing in Frescale; we're currently collecting notes in separate topics, but would prefer the changes to be within the actual topic
- Kris; thanks to the SC for the work on the proposal; note that within the 1.3 schedule, it's coming late to the TC as a whole.
- Don; the problem is really in 2 parts, which we need to separate in order to make progress.
1. is there a complete way to indicate metadata?
2. how do we indicate collection and use of that metadata?
- Joann asked for a vote on the proposal.
- Kris; a complete version of the proposal hasn't been fully discussed by the TC, so we can't yet vote on it. Depending on how quickly the proposal could be completed and brought before the TC, it might or might not make it into 1.3. Other important functionality - e.g. Lightweight DITA - has already been separated from 1.3.
- Don; Let's we give this proposal one extra week to get completely cleaned up. - Kris; We can do that, but we need to avoid putting 'half-baked stuff' into 1.3; we're still feeling the impact of having done that at 1.2.
- Don; It could alternatively be put out as 'committee notes' or third party specializations
- Kris; As dita grows, we have to draw lines between standard and secondary specializations.
ActionItem; all TC members; please look at this proposal very carefully

Eliot asked about the process for stage 3 proposals that are finished, in terms of submitting them to KAVI. Kris and Robert will invetigate this and we can discuss it next time.

meeting closed at 11:56

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 20 Aug 2013

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2013-08-26 10:43:05

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]