Subject: Re: [dita] Allowing metadata to precede title in 13097 troubleshooting section specializations

These seem minor adjustments that should be able to go along in the approved proposal.
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
Joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
303-232-7586

Comtech Logo 2005 small

CIDM will be hosting the Content Management Strategies/DITA NA Conference 2014 in Seattle, Washington April 28-30. More information at:

http://www.cm-strategies.com/2014/index.htm

From: Bob Thomas <bob.thomas@tagsmiths.com>
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:48 AM
To: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi,

In a thread about example and section on the Yahoo DITA group, I offered the opinion that when mixed content is removed from the section model, title ought to be only available at the beginning of section preceded only by an optional indexterm. Jeremy Griffith pointed out that the data element ought to be allowed there as well for the same reasons as indexterm. In general, an optional mix of metadata markup needs to be allowed before title.

The timing for this realization is regrettable. My hope is that it is not too late to tweak the content models.

Here is a tentative list of elements that we should consider allowing to precede title:
  • data
  • data-about
  • foreign
  • indexterm
  • indextermref
  • unknown
I would be happy to have the TC argue away any of these elements. Failing that, I am advocating the following change to the DTD:

Current:

<!-- used in cause and condition -->
<!ENTITY % section.blocks.only.cnt

  "(((%indexterm;)*, (%title;))?,
   (%basic.block; |
   %data.elements.incl; |
   %foreign.unknown.incl; |
   %sectiondiv; |
   %txt.incl;)*)
  "

Proposed:

<!ENTITY % section.blocks.only.cnt
  "(((
%data.elements.incl; | %foreign.unknown.incl; |
      %indexterm;%indextermref;)*, (%title;))?,
    (%basic.block; |
    %data.elements.incl; |
    %foreign.unknown.incl; |
    %sectiondiv; |
    %txt.incl;)*)
  "

I also propose allowing the same mix to precede title in remedy.

Best Regards,
--
Bob Thomas
Skype: bob.thomas.colorado