Subject: Re: [dita] Question about default for @format when linking to file.htm

I don't personally feel confident that there are NO valid reasons to use format="htm". For example - since there was no previous prohibition on using "htm" - companies today could have used explicit values of format="htm" in their maps, potentially with special processing based on that value. This would make sense if they use ".htm" as the extension for all html files anyway. For that reason, I think I would lean towards SHOULD.

Another option would be to rephrase it such that applications SHOULD or MUST treat format="htm" and format="html" as equivalent, which I think would have the same effect.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)

Inactive hide details for Kristen James Eberlein ---03/17/2014 09:07:28---Keep in mind the RFC-2119 meanings of the normative tKristen James Eberlein ---03/17/2014 09:07:28---Keep in mind the RFC-2119 meanings of the normative terms:  MUST This word, or the terms "required"

From: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org,
Date: 03/17/2014 09:07
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Keep in mind the RFC-2119 meanings of the normative terms:

MUST
    This word, or the terms "required" or "shall", mean that the definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.
SHOULD
    This word, or the adjective "recommended", means that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)